There has been continuous school provision in Cheriton Bishop since the early 19th Century. In 1821, a " SUBSCRIPTION SCHOOL ” started but was developed and replaced in 1835 by a NATIONAL SCHOOL . In 1870, following the Education Act, a School Board was established and the 600 year old "poorhouse" was converted into the school.
Eventually, the school was rebuilt on its present site (the remains of the Alms houses can still be seen in the lower half of the hall wall). The old school, which had become derelict was redeveloped in 1935 into what is now the Spalding Hall. The growth in numbers during the 1960’s heralded the arrival of two new classrooms, across the road, from the main school on what is a spacious site.
A third classroom was built onto the existing site incorporating a Staff area, Resources room and a wonderful newly refurbished library (Summer 2003).