|Grove Road, DT5 1DB, UK Portland|
+44 (0)1305 820563
WELCOME TO OUR SCHOOL!
In September 2004, Grove Infant School extended its provision by taking in children from the age of 2yrs 9mths to work alongside the Reception Class in our newly formed ‘Little Stars’ Foundation Unit. This Unit is the first of its kind in Dorset and has proved to be very successful, with the whole curriculum from 3 – 5 planned through play, led by qualified Early Years teachers, playleaders and play assistants.
- To foster a happy welcoming atmosphere in which the whole school community feels safe, secure and respected
- To instil in the children a love of learning which will grow and expand throughout the rest of their lives
- To encourage individuality so that each child has the confidence to work towards their full potential in all areas of learning
- To enable all children to access the full curriculum so that they develop their unique skills and expertise in a fully inclusive environment
- To promote the skills and attitudes that children require to become morally responsible, sensitive and tolerant in the world in which they live, and to prepare them for their future roles in life
- To provide adequate and appropriate resources to support high quality learning
- To create an inviting, stimulating environment which reflects the children's involvement and interests
- To maintain and enhance our partnership with Parents and the Local Community
When children come into school they follow the Foundation Stage Curriculum, through 'Little Stars' and Reception. This curriculum covers six areas of their development – ‘Literacy and Language’, ‘Numeracy’, ‘Physical’, ‘Creative Knowledge and Understanding’ and ‘Personal, Health, Social and Emotional’. At the end of their reception year there is an assessment and they then begin to follow Year 1 of the National Curriculum.
In Years 1 and 2 the morning is mainly devoted to Literacy and Numeracy, following the National Literacy Strategy and National Numeracy Strategy. The afternoons are given to other areas of the curriculum – Science, Art, Music, P.E, Humanities, and I.C.T. and Citizenship with all following the curriculum guidelines as set by DfES. I.C.T. is given a high priority and is incorporated into all the areas of the curriculum from the beginning of the Foundation Stage.
At the end of Year 2 children have a ‘teacher assessment’ based on standard National Criteria in Literacy, Numeracy and Science - the results of these assessments go through to be officially recorded at County Hall.
The whole curriculum is presented to the children in a stimulating and practical way to help them make sense of the world they live in. A high priority is given to the development of speaking and listening skills and developing independence from the earliest age.
Music, Art, Sandplay, Roleplay, Drama
Homework, Indoor & Outdoor Sports, Board Games, FacePainting,
Playdough, Playstation, Videos, Parachute, Crafts, Subutteo,
Dressing Up & special themed activities during the holidays
primary schools in Portland,
secondary schools in Portland,
schools in Portland