By creating a partnership involving staff, parents and the community we provide a stimulating, challenging learning and teaching environment which offers equality of opportunity.
All pupils feel valued, achieve their potential and are well prepared to make a positive contribution to society.
The values of openness, honesty, consideration and tolerance, all of which contribute towards self-esteem and encourage respect for others, are fundamental to the aims of the school.
Operating within the context of a caring school, our aims are to provide each pupil with a relevant and challenging learning experience, to provide each member of staff with a supportive and rewarding working environment and to create opportunities for the involvement of parents and the community in the life of the school.
To ensure that each pupil is provided with a relevant and challenging experience the school's aims are:
• to encourage an ethos of achievement not only in examination success but in all experiences offered in school.
• to foster a culture of praise which acknowledges pupil achievement.
• to ensure there is equality of opportunity.
• to develop an interest in lifelong learning.
• to foster intellectual curiosity and a spirit of enquiry.
• to create a learning environment that is academically stimulating.
• to ensure that appropriate resources are made available so as to maximise the learning opportunities of pupils.
• to raise awareness of social and moral problems and of the cultural and spiritual aspects of life.
• to encourage participation in a full range of activities which will widen pupils’ experiences.
• to offer preparation for the challenges of the workplace, further education and higher education.
• to provide technological experience and understanding of its influence on society.
To ensure that each member of staff is provided with a supportive and rewarding working environment the school's aims are:
• to create an atmosphere which encourages commitment to continuous improvement.
• to support staff in carrying out their work efficiently and effectively by offering them appropriate staff development courses.
• to provide each member of staff with the opportunity to work as a member of a team.
• to develop an ethos of achievement to which staff contribute and support.
• to promote the use of methodologies by staff which combine appropriate innovation with the best of established good practice.
• to create a sense of ownership, encouraging staff to contribute to the development of the whole school and the management of change.
To ensure the creation of a caring ethos the school’s aims are:
• to nurture a climate within the school which promotes good working relationships. From these pupils can derive positive attitudes and sound values and can gain satisfaction.
• to ensure each pupil feels valued as an individual and is known in some depth by at least one member of staff.
• to create a climate of trust whereby pupils feel cared for and are able to ask for support at any time.
• to encourage the members of the school community to be considerate, tolerant and respectful of each other.
• to recognise and acknowledge the positive contribution pupils and staff make to the life of the school.
• to identify and respond sympathetically and realistically to the specific needs of individuals.
• to communicate in an open manner.
Partnership with Parents and the Wider Community
To create opportunities for the involvement of parents and other members of the community the school's aims are:
• to create opportunities for parents to be involved in the life of the school through effective, open and honest communication.
• to encourage parental involvement in the School Board, the P.T.A., school activities and in the organisation of extra curricular activities.
• to promote good relationships between the school and the wider community and develop close links between the two to their mutual benefit.
• to maximise the use of learning opportunities and resources.
• to communicate with the community by the wide distribution of school literature and effective publicity of school activities.