he present Ramsey County Junior School began its history as the Ramsey Town Council School on 20th April 1903, when Mr. W. H. Peacock, the Headmaster, made the following entry in the Log Book:
"20th April 1903 - Boys and Girls commenced work this morning in the new schools. Messrs Cade, Noble and Evison, members of the Ramsey School Board were present. 276 were present and all staff"
Ten days later another entry appears, that of Mr. E. N. Wix, His Majesty's Inspector, who described the start as follows:
"Visited school. A very promising start in excellent new premises"
The building is still considered to be one of the best of its kind in the county.
On the 20th June 1903, the authority of the Ramsey School Board was ended and the school came under the control of the Huntingdonshire County Council.
The building first incorporated an Infants' Department comprising that part of the main building near the Girls entrance situated of the main hall. This remained so until 1913, when a separate building was provided. Even up to 1922, infants were received from two schools, the Council Infants School and the Endowed School on the church Green.
The first means of lighting in the school was the upright open gas jet, and this had apparently on several occasions also to be used for heating purposes during the periods when the central heating was out of order. In December 1926, new inverted incandescent lights replaced the old open flames, and in May 1934 electricity was installed.
Headteachers and Staff
The school has had nine headteachers, these being:
|Mr. W. Peacock
||April 1903 - April 1906 |
|Mr R. J.Leggett
||May 1906 - June 1915 |
|Mr G. Moore
||July 1915 - December 1933 |
|Mr W. V. Smith
||March 1934 - August 1960 |
|Mr G. R. Dando
||September 1960 - December 1963 |
|Mr W. F. Churchman
||January 1964 - August 1978 |
|Mr D. A. Jones
||September 1978 - August 1990 |
|Mr N. J. Wheeley
||September 1990 - July 1998 |
|Mr S. M. Rendle
||July 1998 - July 2005|
|Mrs D. Hannaford
|| September 2005|
The Staff during the years has varied considerably, sometimes not nearly large enough to meet requirements, as in the period from 1917 - 1918, when there was an average of from 65 - 70 pupils in each class; but generally in sufficient numbers to enable the smooth running of the school.
The War Years
During both World Wars, 1914 - 18, and 1939 - 45, the school made its contribution to the war efforts, in the former, mainly by collections in aid of various causes and in the latter by the reception of evacuees from London, and more collections towards the conduct of the war.
1914 - 1918
The Overseas Club, benefited by £2. 16s. 10.5d in December 1915, and again by £1. 14s. 9.5d in May 1917. A Badge Day held on 13th January 1916 raised £1. 10s 9.5d on behalf of the R.S.P.C.A. for sick and wounded horses at the front. In November 1917 £1. 11s 6d was collected towards Christmas puddings for the troops, while during September and October 1918, 8.5 cwts. of blackberries was gathered by the pupils and forwarded to a firm of jam manufacturers.
To celebrate the signing of Armistice a half-day holiday was granted.
1939 - 1945
On the day of the declaration of the Second World War, the school was opened as a reception centre for evacuees from London, and during the first week many mothers and children were received.
From 8th July to 12th August 1940, the school was closed, as there was no adequate protection in view of the possibility of daylight air-raids. In October 1940 this protection was supplied by bricking up all the windows in the cloakrooms. In addition a 14-inch wall was erected outside both entrances.
During this month many more evacuees were received from London and extra classrooms were provided for a few months in the Women's Institute Hall and later for a period of two years in the Methodist Church Hall.
On the 22nd August 1942 the school narrowly escaped a direct hit by a bomb. At 11.15 p.m., four heavy bombs were dropped in Ramsey - one just in the spinney opposite the then headmasters house, the roof of which was badly damaged, doors blown in and windows broken. The second fell in the road at the junction of Station Road and Filed Terrace. Here two persons were killed, several houses completely destroyed, and others rendered uninhabitable. The school roof was badly damaged by the shrapnel and lumps of clay, several thousands of slates being broken and cracked. Doors were blown in, window frames and partitions moved and the whole of the playgrounds covered with clay from the crater opposite. In view of the extensive damage caused the Managers decided that the school should be closed until further notice.
Special National Savings efforts during the war were "Warship Week" in March 1942, when £1240. 15s 0d. Was raised, and "Salute the Soldier" in May 144 when £812. 6s. 6d. was raised.
To celebrate the end of the war in Europe in May 1945, two days, holiday was granted.
After the war the school continued as an elementary school with most children leaving at 13.
However on April 7th 1954 the Spinning Infant School opened and all infant-aged children were transferred there at this time. On the 7th September when the Ailwyn School opened as a secondary modern school this school became a primary school. By the late 1970 the buildings were inadequate for there purpose and the school was extended, adding two new classrooms, a hall, offices and new staffroom.
By the mid 1990's the numbers of children exceeded the space available and another programme of building was undertaken. Classrooms in the old Infant block were refurbished and three rooms made into two, with a third added plus a music and drama room. An extra classroom was added to the year three area and the hall was extended. A link corridor was built so that it became possible to move from one end of school to the other without the need to go outside.