|Sturminster Marshall First School|
|High Street, Sturminster Marshall, BH21 4AY, UK Wimborne|
+44 (01258 857348
This is the beginning of a partnership in which we are committed to do the best for you and your child. Our aim is to create a happy and secure environment, where your child is encouraged to achieve his or her potential.
We value our village school and all the people connected with it and we recognise that the school has an important part to play in the community, where we benefit from the goodwill and support of the parents and village residents. We are also fortunate in having a pre-school on site, creating an easy transition into school which enables children to settle quickly and build on the learning that has already taken place in their pre-school years.
We believe in high quality education, and during a visit by a County Inspector for Dorset Education Authority Pupil and School Improvement Service, it was stated that:
"This is a successful school where there is a clear determination that all pupils will achieve to the best of their ability within a happy and productive learning environment, underpinned by good teamwork and clear leadership."
The curriculum is agreed by the Governors and takes into account the aims of teh school and the requirements of the Local Education Authority.
There is a specialised curriculum for the early years, starting in Pre-School and continuing through the Foundation Class. The foundation curriculum covers six areas of learning.
All pupils from five to sixteen years of age are entitled to the provisions of the National Curriculum. It ensures that the essential skills of literacy and numeracy are taught progressively. It encourages creativity and understanding of citizenship.
We believe that all the learning that takes place should be offered in an interesting and stimulating way. We try to offer a variety of first-hand experiences to make the learning process purposeful, meaningful and appropriate to each child. We expect high standards and encourage everyone to do their best, whatever their level of ability. Every teacher uses a wide range of teaching strategies to enable the children to find the way that they learn best.
Our key aim is to make Sturminster Marshall Pre-School a happy place to be, where your child can feel secure, develop confidence, enjoy and achieve.
We value each child’s individuality, building on what they can do, encouraging a love of learning and laying down a secure foundation for the future.
We aim to make our setting welcoming to parents and carers so we can work together and regularly exchange information about every child’s progress and achievements.
The Pre-School offers:
- Highly qualified, caring staff providing individual care and attention
- Care and education for children aged 2 years 9 months to 4 years 11 months
- Respect for adults and children
- Equality of opportunity for all children
- A safe and stimulating environment where children use all their senses to learn about the world around them
- A play-based curriculum for active learning
- A planned balance of adult-led and child-initiated activities to enable children to make connections between new information and what they already know
- A Key Worker system so that children develop independence by having someone to depend on
- Close links with very popular First School
- Own purpose-built building within the grounds of First School
- Fully enclosed outdoor play area plus wooden play gym and access to school field at certain times
- Field trips within local area to link with learning themes
- Pre-School sweatshirts and polo shirts helping children identify with the setting
primary schools in Wimborne,
secondary schools in Wimborne,
schools in Wimborne