About the University
A message from the Vice-Chancellor
Excellence in teaching quality
The Faculties - part 1
The Faculties - part 2
Your Accommodation Options
A brief history of UWE Bristol
Campuses, maps and travel
Why choose UWE?
|University of the West of England|
|Coldharbour Lane, BS16 1QY Bristol|
(+44 or 0) 117 965 6261
Excellence in teaching quality
A top five university
Bristol UWE has been ranked fifth in England out of 83 Higher Education institutions in the latest Teaching Quality Assessment league table published in the Times Higher Educational Supplement.
Existing institutional scores have been adjusted by removing the link with research that previously skewed the league tables. This has allowed new universities to be clearly recognised for the quality of their teaching. In the latest table, compiled by a team of academics led by Robert Raeside, Director of Research at Napier University, UWE was one of the universities placed at the top alongside Oxford and Leeds.
Teaching Quality Assessments
Bristol UWE has an excellent and well-deserved reputation for quality teaching reinforced by its teaching assessment record.
The Quality Assurance Agency (QAA) in its programme of subject review assessed the quality of the teaching in universities and higher education colleges. Six aspects of teaching and learning were assessed on a four-point scale, giving a potential maximum score of 24. Bristol UWE scored very highly in these assessments particularly in the following subjects:
- Art, Media and Design (22/24)
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences (24/24)
- Building and Quantity Surveying (21/24)
- Business and Management (23/24)
- Cultural and Media Studies (22/24)
- Economics (23/24)
- Education (24/24)
- Electronic Engineering (21/24)
- English (Excellent)
- French, German, Spanish and Linguistics (21/24)
- Land and Property Management (22/24)
- Law (Excellent)
- Mathematics, Statistics and Operational Research (21/24)
- Nursing and Midwifery (22/24)
- Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy, Radiography (21/24)
- Politics (21/24)
- Psychology (22/24)
- Sociology (23/24)
- Town and Country Planning and Housing (23/24)
In 1996, in 1999 and again in 2000, the University’s Legal Practice Course was awarded the highest assessment of ‘excellent’ by the Legal Practice Course Board.
Training the teachers
During their first year, all new teaching staff take a Professional Development Certificate in Higher Education. More experienced academics are also encouraged to take part in the Professional Development Programme. UWE was one of the first universities in the country to offer this kind of systematic staff development.
Research Assessment Exercise
In the most recent Research Assessment Exercise conducted by the Higher Education Foundation Council for England with other UK higher education funding bodies, the quality of research was assessed in the following subjects.
The rating scale ranges from 5* (best) to 5, 4, 3a, 3b, 2 and 1.
- Accounting and Finance 5
- Art and Design 4
- Cultural and Media Studies 4
- English 4
- History 4
- Law 4
- Politics and International Studies 4
- Applied Mathematics 3a
- Business and Management Studies 3a
- Computer Science 3a
- Education 3a
- European Studies 3a
- Professions Allied to Medicine 3a
- Sociology 3a
- Town and Country Planning 3a
- General Engineering 3b
- Library and Information Management 3b
- Nursing 3b
- Environmental Sciences (Plant Science) 2(3a)
- Geography 2
For full information about research and consultancy at Bristol UWE see our research pages.
Facts and figures
primary schools in Bristol,
secondary schools in Bristol,
schools in Bristol