About the University
A message from the Vice-Chancellor
Excellence in teaching quality
The Faculties - part 1
The Faculties - part 2
Your Accommodation Options
A brief history of UWE Bristol
Campuses, maps and travel
Why choose UWE?
|University of the West of England|
|Coldharbour Lane, BS16 1QY Bristol|
(+44 or 0) 117 965 6261
UWE in pictures
The student experience
Welcoming students in style
To get things off to a flying start for students joining UWE, the University and Students' Union put together a host of activities and events to welcome them in style. As thousands of new students and their families arrived, they were greeted by hundreds of student ambassadors, faculty staff and moving helpers to make their arrival as smooth and friendly as possible. For a taste of the Welcome Weekend, view the slideshow of pictures from the event:
Before they arrived, students were issued with colour coded lanyards and id-cards to play 'snap'. During the weekend they could look out for others with the same faculty and accommodation colours as themselves and use it as an ice-breaker to get together and make friends from day one.
Food and entertainment
DJs, bands, free drinks and food , bbqs, inflatable football and a hot air balloon prize-draw all brought the weekend to life and gave students a party atmosphere to welcome them to the University.
To share their first impressions of UWE, students could drop-in for a chat in the UWE Diary Room. They were filmed sitting in a huge white inflatable bubble chair and many enthused about their first taste of university life.
Bristol UWE - The Vision
By 2012 we envisage a University that is an internationally acknowledged centre for knowledge exchange, drawing upon its excellent teaching, scholarship and research in order to prepare students for the various needs and challenges of work and society.
This will mean that the University:
- is renowned for supporting students’ learning across a spectrum of activity, offering them lifelong learning, progression pathways and truly excellent standards in learning and teaching which leads to high quality employment outcomes through the relevance and practicality of its curriculum
- is known by employers for its user-led research applicable to real world problems, consultancy, courses, toolkits, events, and employable graduates
- is recognised for its pre-eminence in the field of knowledge exchange
- conducts world-class research in clearly identified areas of strength
- is known for the diversity of its students, its recognition of their differing needs and the value of their active participation and engagement.
Knowledge Exchange is the two-way flow of innovation or best practice, often involving an exchange of ideas and experience.
UWE prides itself on excellence in knowledge exchange and the development of professional practice. At UWE this is characterised by a vast range of research, teaching, business expertise and advice to individuals and organisations in the local, national and international community.
We focus on:
- user-led, innovative research and consultancy
- effective and long-lasting relationships with businesses, public services and communities.
- teaching and learning for employability
- continuing professional development for lifelong learning
Services for organisations include:
Resourcing and recruitment
Problem solving and innovation
Training and development
Conference and event hosting
We aim to listen to what employers tell us so that our courses, research and continuing professional development are up to date and relevant.
- help shape our degrees and short courses.
- give a guest lecture to share your experience and knowledge.
- join events and seminars to meet staff and other forward-thinking organisations.
To find out more, get in touch with us. Telephone +44 (0)117 32 82808 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for an informal discussion.
UWE - making knowledge work
primary schools in Bristol,
secondary schools in Bristol,
schools in Bristol