Introducing Buckinghamshire Chilterns University College
Professional & Short Courses
Foundation Degree Courses
Fees & Bursaries
|Buckinghamshire Chilterns University College|
|Queen Alexandra Road, HP11 2JZ High Wycombe|
+44 1494 522141
Arte et Industria: By art and industry
Open for business in 1893
It is a little known fact that BCUC owes its existence – at least in part – to an unpopular tax that was imposed on beer and spirits towards the end of the nineteenth century. A fund was created to compensate owners of licensed premises who’d been forced to close, but it eventually became so large that Parliament agreed to make it available for educational purposes too. With additional money from the local County Council, a Science and Art School emerged in 1893, which immediately started to play an important role in providing evening classes to the residents of High Wycombe and the surrounding region.
A changing role in the new century
After the First World War, the School also began to give special tuition to disabled ex-soldiers and sailors. The veterans were trained in a range of traditional skills including cabinet making, carving and polishing to help them find work in local factories. By 1920, daytime technical classes in metalwork and woodwork had been introduced – the first in the country. The school was then renamed as The Wycombe Technical Institute.
After the Second World War
Following the defeat of Hitler in 1945, there was a greater urgency for technical education to rehabilitate returning servicemen. The increased demand – along with the introduction of day release schemes for apprentices – required immediate additional classroom space and it was proposed to site a new College of Further Education in Queen Alexandra Road. These facilities were built over a period of ten years and officially opened by the Right Honourable Sir Edward Boyle, MP on 6th May 1963.
Newland Park and Missenden Abbey
The growth of the High Wycombe College of Art and Technology, as it was then known, continued. In 1975, it merged with the Newland Park College of Education in Chalfont St Giles (a former Teacher Training College) to form Buckinghamshire College of Higher Education.
The most recent addition to the university's sites is Missenden Abbey Management Centre. The Abbey, which dates back to 1133, was officially opened as a management centre by the Duke of Gloucester in May 1988, having been dramatically restored after a fire in 1985.
University College Status
In 1989, the College became one of the UK's new independent Higher Education Corporations. At this time the College made a strategic commitment to become a polytechnic institute by 1992, en route to attaining university status. In 1992 it became a College of Brunel University.
In March 1999, Buckinghamshire College was awarded University College status by the Government, becoming Buckinghamshire Chilterns University College in recognition of its high standards of teaching, training and research. The university now has its own degree awarding powers and is the principal provider of university education in the region.
Today, we have brought university education to the town and provide a comprehensive portfolio of part-time and full-time courses to students from all parts of the UK and overseas.
primary schools in High Wycombe,
secondary schools in High Wycombe,
schools in High Wycombe