The school serves the western side of Spondon village. It is a co-educational, LEA maintained primary school admitting children on a full time basis from the age of 4 to 11 years. Children enter the school, on a full time basis, at two points in September and January, depending on their dates of birth. The maximum number of children that may be admitted in the 5 + age group during the school year 2007/2008 will be 30.
Most of the children attending Springfield Primary School live in the normal area served by the school. However, if children living outside this area have brothers or sisters already at the school such cases will be considered for admission, as will any requests for places by parents living outside the school’s normal area. You must request a place directly to the Children and Young People's Services.
The following selection criteria are used in the case of over-subscription.
1. Children who are looked after (in the care of or accommodated by Derby City Council or another authority)
2. Children who are both living in the normal area served by the school and have brothers or sisters attending the school at the time of their admission
3. Other children living in the normal area at the time of admission
4. Children who do not live in the normal area served by the school but who have brothers or sisters attending the school at the time of their admission
5. Other children whose parents have requested a place
Where, in the case of 2 to 5 above, choices have to be made between children satisfying the same criteria, those children living nearest to the school (measured by the nearest available route) are given preference.
Following their primary education the majority of pupils transfer to West Park Community School, the neighbourhood comprehensive. Transfer to West Park is on the basis of home address. Some pupils transfer to other local secondary schools, with a small but regular number gaining places at the City Technology College and at independent secondary schools.