Appledore Nursery will endeavour to provide children with a stimulating environment where playing and learning go hand in hand. A variety of activities will be provided throughout the day indoors and out.
The nursery understands that play is something that a child enjoys best, and that children’s play has a purpose.
Play will be a step towards learning how to think independently and understand valuable skills.
The nursery is situated on the Appledore Primary school site, and has three buildings linked together. The children can move freely through each room accessing different types of play.
A ‘quiet’ room where, the children listen to stories; play games, puzzles, and enjoy role play and writing activities.
A messy room for painting, clay, water, sand, woodwork and construction skills.
The role play room where the children can extend their language through imaginative play.
The children are also supported by a Nursery Plus teacher and assistant.
We use the following principles to guide practice and ensure progression and continuity of learning for the children in the Foundation Stage.
· Build on what children already know and can do
· Work in partnership with parents
· Foster good communication between all those involved in the care and education of young children
· Plan experiences that are based on real life situations, are holistic in nature, allow for sustained play and underpin children’s learning
· Have a sound knowledge of child development