The idea of Bearne‚€™s Voluntary Primary School was conceived in 1788 by Hannah Maria Bearne, for the teaching of poor children of the parishes of Highweek and Wolborough.
Although the pupils were required to attend at some place of public worship, no preference would be given to children of a particular persuasion or sect of the Protestant religion.¬ This would set the school apart from others in the area.¬ The school still has a Trust to this day and is the only school of its kind in Devon.
The school was initially set up in 1843 in buildings at the end of a court in Wolborough Street, which had been formerly occupied by the Wolborough¬ National School.¬ ¬ The present school was built in 1859 in order to house boys in one department and girls in another.
The school was extended to include two more classrooms in 1881, and the indoor toilet facilities and administration office were added on to the existing building in 1991.
Our community hall was officially opened in January 1998, after a successful fundraising campaign, and has since had the addition of a suspended ceiling to improve acoustics.
The school has had the playground resurfaced, security measures have been put in place and modernisation is an ongoing process.
The school has further plans to improve and grow, and we are currently looking at the development of an undercover early years play area, A¬ separate Headteacher‚€™s office has recently been added.