Bradworthy County Primary School was built in 1872 as a Board School. Its one large classroom was eventually divided into three and with the addition of two temporary classrooms continued to be used as the main teaching space until 1985. In that year as a part of its policy to upgrade old schools rather than build new ones the Local Education Authority remodelled the building.
The original school was converted into a hall equipped with gymnasium apparatus for Physical Education plus stage blocks and lights for drama. A new teaching block was built on the site of the former playground and linked to the original building. Four new classrooms were built with underfloor central heating and linking doors. In the centre of this block is a central technology area where the school’s multimedia, internet connected computer network is housed. Each class uses the centre on a rota basis.
In September 2002 the school benefited further from a second building project in response to an increasing school roll, which required the setting up of an extra class. The project has allowed us to construct a purpose built area for our younger children which includes a large new classroom with an adjacent covered outdoor play area which is accessible by both Key Stage 1 classes. We have also been able to provide our younger children with their own toilet and cloakroom areas away from the older children.
This building project has also provided us with additional office and store space, a group teaching area and an extended and re-modelled computer area.
A modern kitchen is attached to the school and provides excellent dinners cooked on the premises by our own school staff. The school took responsibility for its own catering in April 2004 and we are now able to produce meals of an excellent quality prepared from locally produced food.We also operate a break time service.