|Caen Community Primary School|
|Caen Street, EX33 1AD, UK Braunton|
+44 (0)1271 812786
CAEN SCHOOL is at the heart of Braunton, amid the outstanding natural beauty of North Devon.
The open spaces and clean air are refreshing, the ocean and landscape inspiring, the community welcoming and supportive.
This is echoed in the school itself, where the teaching is progressive, but built upon long experience and tradition.
CAEN SCHOOL is where education,
friendship and fun come together - to inspire.
- We aim to foster enthusiasm, confidence and a zest for life and learning.
- We address the National Curriculum by providing a broad and balanced education that encourages a sense of wonder and consideration of the world around.
- Every child is supported to make the best progress possible and to achieve high standards.
- We encourage praise and celebrate success.
- We strive for strong links between the school, parents and the local community.
- We learn to value others by being valued ourselves, whoever we are, and understand that; cultural diversity, race and gender equality are fundamental to good citizenship.
- We actively encourage a generous and tolerant attitude to others and strive to maintain a naturally standard of manners and behaviour.
- Caen Community Primary School aims to create a warm, caring environment in which all the children and adults are able to reach their full potential both individually and collectively.
- We offer a variety of activity and teaching methods, including first hand experience to personalise learning as much as we can.
- We believe that all children have a right to play and that play is an invaluable learning tool.
- We celebrate and encourage staff skills and aim for professional challenge and advancement.
- We encourage the use of modern technology to enhance learning.
- We are a healthy school. We foster enthusiasm for physical activity and the confidence to perform to the best of our ability.
- We encourage children to take ownership and responsibility in caring for their school and the environment
Literacy and mathematics are given high priority and taught daily. Teaching and learning in these subjects is given cross-curricular relevance whenever possible and the school recognises the importance of speaking and listening activities in both subjects.
Science teaching takes place through practical investigation initially using the child’s own environment as a stimulus. Pupils will be introduced to many scientific concepts and skills to encourage an enquiring mind and scientific approach.
The school has its own ICT suite with 18 computers. Every class is fitted with laptop computers and data projectors enhance whole class learning. The children are introduced to a wide range of ICT skills to equip them for the challenging world of the future.
All classes participate in RE and our scheme of work is based on the Devon Agreed Syllabus. We aim to help children to develop an understanding of the Christian faith and tolerance and empathy for others.
The curriculum is enjoyable, broad and balanced. Pupils explore a variety of topics through History, Geography, PE, Art, Music, D&T, Modern Foreign Languages and Social and Emotional Aspects of Learning.
Educational visits are frequent to the school as are visiting speakers. Links with the local community are many and varied.
Sport plays an important part in life and Caen primary School, and this is reflected in the range of clubs which are available.
Netball takes place on a Monday from 3.15 – 4.15pm and is run by Mrs Burton.
Netball club is aimed at children in years 5 and 6 and is very popular at present.
Children have the opportunity to play matches against other schools and take part in a large tournament which is run every year.
Caen has won the netball tournament in 2005 and 2006 against other schools in the local area.
Year 5 and 6 children are invited to join our tag rugby teams which have enjoyed considerable success for many years, including winning the Devon Millennium Games Championships in 1999. This club is run by Mr Little.
Football is offered to all Key Stage Two children (boys and girls) and our teams have successfully taken part in many matches. This club is currently run by Mr Ashford.
Caen has a swimming pool and a private club run by qualified swimming instructors. This is available to any children wishing to join.
primary schools in Braunton,
secondary schools in Braunton,
schools in Braunton