|Lew Trenchard C E Primary School|
|Lewdown, EX20 4DP, UK Okehampton|
+44 (0)1566 783273
Welcome to our school!
Lew Trenchard C of E Voluntary Controlled Primary School is situated in the village of Lewdown. The village is located close to the old A30 road, some 9 miles from Launceston, 10 miles from Okehampton and 10 miles from Tavistock.
The school has a wide catchment area with children being drawn from the outlying villages of Lewdown, Stowford, Thrushelton, Bidestowe,Marystowe and Coryton. A school minibus and taxi service are provided for those children having to make long journeys.
The number on roll is 80. The Planned Admission Level is 10 per year. This number will be increased to 12 due to the developing catchment area and popularity of the school.
At the age of 11 pupils normally transfer to Okehampton Community College, but parents can choose to send their pupils to whichever schools they wish providing a place is available.
- To create an environment where children can develop, at their optimum rate, social, physical, artistic and intellectual skills.
- To create a happy working atmosphere in a well-ordered school where children are encouraged to show care and concern for others, to be courteous, to learn good manners and to use common sense at all times.
- To develop self-respect and confidence.
- To attempt to cater for the learning needs of each individual pupil.
- To encourage the development of the Christian thinking and the respect of other religions, races and cultures.
- To establish a system of assessment and record-keeping which will monitor efficiently the learning of each individual.
- To prepare children for their next stage of education and for a life beyond school.
- To provide a curriculum which specifically meets the requirements of the National Curriculum and which is generally broad in it's approach making learning applicable and relevant but ensuring that the importance of the basic skills in all major areas is maintained. Wherever possible, to try to match the basic skills and general content to everyday situations. To make all activities sufficiently demanding with attention being drawn to what the children are doing. To present the curriculum in an interesting way, conveying the need for work set to match the varying abilities of the children.
This is a brief outline of our Curriculum. Policy statements have been written, or are in the process of being written, for each subject area. The Staff and Headteacher will be happy to discuss issues with you in greater detail.
Our school curriculum has been planned to meet the requirements of the National Curriculum.
Both the National Literacy and National Numeracy projects follow a programme of work which is delivered during the course of an academic year. Other subjects follow a two-year rolling programme which has been designed by the school but which closely follows recommendations made by both Devon Curriculum Advice and the DfEE.
primary schools in Okehampton,
secondary schools in Okehampton,
schools in Okehampton