|St George`s C E (V A)Infant and Nursery School|
|Nursery Unit, Jackets Lane, Northam, EX39 1HT, UK Bideford|
+44 (0)1237 477262
St. George’s is a Voluntary Aided Infant and Nursery School situated in North Devon. We are fortunate to be situated near beautiful coastline with the school being only a short distance from the Northam Burrows Country Park.
The school was built in 1975 and has over the years undergone extensive refurbishment including an enlarged nursery, purpose built ICT suite housing 15 computers and a library. All of this work has enabled us to provide a warm, happy and stimulating environment in which our children can learn and flourish.
To provide high quality education within a secure, caring, learning environment reflecting our Christian Ethos which:
- Values everyone as an individual.
- Aims to nurture and develop healthy, confident children who are happy to come to school.
- Ensures each child has access to a broad, balanced, curriculum
- Provides first hand learning experiences, recognises the value of play and different learning styles.
- Fosters the achievement of high standards socially, intellectually, physically, spiritually and creatively.
- Promotes a positive self-image;
- Encourages care and respect for self, others, the environment, religions, cultures;
- Works in partnership with parents and carers and the wider community
- Fosters and maintains the Christian character of the school and links with the church
- Provides learning opportunities and experiences for all.
At St. George’s we provide a well-planned curriculum, using the national guidance for the Foundation Stage designed to meet the needs of our 3/4 year olds. Sessions currently run from 9.00am – 11.30am and from 12.50 – 3.20pm daily.
Autumn Term – for children born between September 1st and 29th February
Spring Term – for children born between March 1st and August 31st
Children will transfer from nursery to reception in January or September. In line with county policy, depending on when their birthdays fall, they spend either three or two terms in this class. Reception children come into school from 9.00am – 12.00 noon for approximately one week. The following week they will stay to lunch and go home at 1.15 pm. After this they come into school full time. During the term before children commence full time schooling, parents are invited into school to meet with the head teacher, reception teacher and learn about the reception year.
In the September following their fifth birthday children move into a year one class where they will remain for three terms.
In the September following their sixth birthday, children move into a year two class, where they remain for three terms and in the September following their seventh birthday they transfer to St. Margaret’s School.
We organise our teaching into topics or themes for many of the foundation subjects. We plan carefully on a half-termly basis, ensuring skills and knowledge are planned for and all children are encouraged to work to the best of their ability. Some areas of the curriculum will not always fit into our topics, and these are taught alongside. The children develop skills in English and maths through many areas of the curriculum as well as through the literacy and numeracy hour. At the beginning of each half-term we send a ‘curriculum newsletter’ home that informs parents of the areas of work their child will be tackling and enables them to help in any way they feel able.
primary schools in Bideford,
secondary schools in Bideford,
schools in Bideford