|Gables Road, Willand, EX15 2PL, UK Cullompton|
+44 (0)1884 820367
WELCOME TO OUR SCHOOL!!!
Willand School was opened in 1948, and caters for children aged from rising five to eleven years.
This means that a full three years may be spent at Key Stage 1 and a further four years at Key Stage 2.
The school roll currently stands at 271 (as at April 2006). Willand School is a community school.
We are also fortunate to have a music room and a technology room in addition to an ICT Suite. We
have our own hall, kitchen and spacious playing fields.
The school emblem is a stag, which was designed as a result of the belief held that the name Willand
was derived from ’wild land’; Willand once having been royal hunting land.
- To provide a caring environment in which children and adults feel happy and secure.
- To encourage mutual respect and to appreciate and value the contribution of all those involved in
the life of the school.
- To offer every child an inclusive education through the National Curriculum providing a broad,
balanced and relevant range of curricular and extra curricular activities to enable them to achieve
their full potential.
- To become an educational environment in which all members of the school community can thrive,
regardless of race, religion, culture, gender or individual need.
- To encourage an understanding and respect of differing cultures, beliefs and needs in the wider
community and beyond.
- To maintain consistently high standards and expectations of teaching, learning and behaviour
through positive relationships based on honesty and trust.
- To promote a positive partnership between staff, children, parents, Governors, the local community
and outside agencies.
- To promote effective teamwork through mutual support and co- operation.
- To promote an atmosphere which stimulates and reflects purposeful teaching and learning.
- To encourage children to develop a caring and responsible attitude for their environment.
- To monitor, evaluate and develop the life and work of the school.
- To ensure clear communication and implementation of whole school policies and routines.
Our starting school programme consists of several strands. In order to help facilitate smooth entry for the
children, close links are maintained with Willand Preschool. In the term before a child starts school, sessions
are held at Willand Preschool where children work on some of the early skills they may well meet in school.
Please contact Willand Preschool for details of this (telephone 01884 33711).
Children with birthdays between 1 September and 28 February will start school on a full time basis at the
beginning of the Autumn Term in September.
Children with birthdays between 1 March and 31 August will
start school on a full time basis at the beginning of the Spring Term in January.
The school utilises a combination of 'modern' and 'traditional' methods, giving what we feel is a
successful and happy balance of educational style. Children are treated as individuals, and we aim
not only to provide an 'academic' education, but to foster independence, responsibility and good
manners, which we consider to be vital.
Our aim is that the work should be stimulating in order that every child is encouraged to apply
themselves to the tasks energetically to achieve their full potential. We also seek evidence that the
children are able to apply this newly developed knowledge, skills, attitudes and abilities. We
encourage the children to become independent learners through their time at Willand School.
There are a number of extra-curricular activities which take place during lunchtime and after school.
These include music group, orchestra, recorder, cricket, football, high fives netball, athletics, tag
rugby, and growing & eating. The choir and music group performs at local community activities
including the Methodist Church and the Over 60’s Club in Willand. They also are an integral part of
the end of year drama production. The orchestra attended an orchestral day at Blundells School. We
have school football, tag rugby and high fives netball teams, who play regularly against other schools
and in local competitions.
primary schools in Cullompton,
secondary schools in Cullompton,
schools in Cullompton