|Beaminster Technology College|
|Newtown, DT8 3EP, UK Beaminster|
+44 (0)1308 862633
WELCOME TO OUR SCHOOL!!!
Beaminster School , situated in West Dorset, is a Voluntary Controlled 11-18 Co-Educational school, with Christian affiliations, accepting students of all faiths and religious inclinations.
The main school stands in beautiful open countryside on the edge of Beaminster and provides education for students drawn from a wide rural area. The town itself, with a population of about 3,000, lies just six miles from the south coast, and is renowned for its charm and historic interest.
As a small voluntary-controlled school with a warm ‘family’ atmosphere and a strongly local identity, we are able to foster a climate in which every boy and girl can develop his or her talents to the fullest. Behind everything that goes on is a real liking for and understanding of young people. Our size ensures that all students are known and understood. Because we are a Technology College, our students benefit from additional resources and opportunities.
Beaminster aims to:
- Promote all round excellence.
- Achieve high academic standards through teaching and learning of quality.
- Develop self-discipline, enterprise, responsibility and independent learning.
- Value, encourage and support all students equally.
- Prepare students to succeed in a changing world.
- Make sure students are aware of and respond to the needs of others.
- Work in partnership with the wider community to the benefit of both
The curriculum for 11 to 16 year olds is based on the National Curriculum, which stipulates:
In addition to this, all students will receive:
- Three 'CORE' subjects: English, Maths and Science to GCSE
- Information and Communication Technology to GCSE / GNVQ
- Physical Education
- Religious Education to GCSE
- Six 'FOUNDATION' subjects:
Technology (all students study these until age 16)
- A Modern Language (all students study these until age 16*)
- History (compulsory in Years 7 to 9, optional in Years 10 and 11)
- Geography (compulsory in Years 7 to 9, optional in Years 10 and 11)
- Art (compulsory in Years 7 to 9, optional in Years 10 and 11)
- Music (compulsory in Years 7 to 9, optional in Years 10 and 11)
- Drama—Years 7-9 one lesson per week and available as GCSE and GCE
- Personal, Religious and Social Education (PRS), including Sex and Health Education
- Careers Education and Counselling
Education in Citizenship, Economic Awareness and Equal Opportunities
- Work related education and opportunities for Work Experience (2 weeks).
The school sees the provision of extra-curricular opportunities as an essential and invaluable part of its work. This provision was described by OFSTED (December 1999) as “outstanding”. Whether they are to do with travel, sport or the arts, new and varied experiences benefit all students and help educate them in the widest sense. A broader outlook on life, an enjoyment of healthy competition (eg on the sports field) increased confidence and co-operation with a tolerance of others are all desirable qualities in young people. Extra curricular life helps develop all these – as well as being plain good fun!
The Sixth Form is a lively, energetic community where you can achieve excellent academic qualifications and enhance your social and personal skills at the same time. The Sixth Form already has a reputation for helping students achieve their potential and for a wide range of courses offered at AS level and A level. We are now offering a broader and more exciting curriculum with opportunities to follow a wide range of vocational courses.
The Sixth Form is already very well known in the local area. Both schools in the partnership have had Specialist School status for several years, and have recently been awarded several consecutive school Achievement Awards. Students in the Sixth Form are able to benefit from the expertise of two different school communities whilst maintaining their own clear identity as students of their own local school. We are also members of the West Dorset Rural Federation of Schools and Colleges which offers opportunities for participation in a broader range of NVQ courses and activities across West Dorset, ranging from Hairdressing to Construction and the Diploma of Child Care.
primary schools in Beaminster,
secondary schools in Beaminster,
schools in Beaminster