|Middlehill Road, Colehill, BH21 2HL, UK Wimborne|
+44 (0)1202 882506
WELCOME TO OUR SCHOOL!!!
Colehill First is set in pleasant wooded surroundings, and features brand new, purpose-built accommodation which was completed in December 2004. This has full disabled access, and comprises an ICT suite featuring 16 networked PC workstations; a large hall which is well equipped for P.E., music and drama lessons; a bright and well resourced library; 5 classrooms, one for each year group and accommodation for our partner pre-school, Colehill Nursery.
Every classroom has direct access to the outdoor environment and this enables outdoor learning to feature strongly within the curriculum. Our facilities are put to good use for environmental studies, geography, our annual sponsored walk, the school summer fete, sports day and, of course, physical education. We have excellent play facilities including a zoned playground, a play trail and a mini-climbing wall. The field is used at playtimes whenever weather permits.
WE AIM TO:
- Provide a happy, secure environment in which every child can realise their potential.
- Stimulate enthusiasm for learning, an enquiring mind, a desire to explore and investigate in order to discover more about the world.
- Provide a broad, balanced curriculum enabling the child to acquire knowledge, skills and the practical abilities and attitudes necessary for the world he/she lives in now and for the future.
- Develop in the child aesthetic awareness and the ability to express him/herself creatively.
- Encourage self-esteem, self-discipline, and a developing degree of independence.
- Develop in the child social, moral, spiritual and cultural awareness.
- Encourage the child to develop personal qualities such as respect, acceptance and co-operation, which will enable him/her to become a caring and considerate member of the community and the world at large.
- Ensure that all children have equal opportunities in all aspects of school life regardless of gender, race or disabilities.
- Develop co-operation, understanding and partnership between home and school.
- Foster good links with the community.
Colehill Nursery offers pre school provision for children aged 2 – 5 years. This is very much part of our school and the children are offered a foundation curriculum which continues in our reception class and dovetails into the National Curriculum as the children enter Year 1.
We have five classes – one for each year group, from Reception to Year 4. Our nursery and Year R classes are based at the southern end of the building, where they share secluded outdoor play facilities. Classes are arranged up the corridor from years 1 to 4 in chronological order.
We meet together for assembly everyday and for playtimes and lunchtimes.
Our school policies and schemes of work have been developed following the National Curriculum and National Primary Strategies. Subjects are divided into core and foundation subjects.
CORE English (Literacy), Mathematics (Numeracy), Science,
Information Communication Technology and Religious Education.
FOUNDATION Design Technology, Geography, History, Music, Art, and P.E.
The National Curriculum is organised subject by subject, but at Colehill First School we recognise that young children do not always learn effectively in separate subject compartments! That’s why we carefully organise learning topics around contexts that are meaningful and relevant to the children, and enable subjects to be combined effectively together. In the National Curriculum, each subject has its own distinct learning objectives, and teachers at Colehill work hard to ensure that these are effectively addressed within the learning topics.
National Curriculum Year Groups
Nursery and Reception: Foundation Stage
Years 1 and 2: Key Stage One
Years 3 and 4: Key Stage Two
There is an abundance of opportunities for education beyond the classroom. At Colehill First, clubs are run at lunchtime or after school by staff, parents and coaches. Although these vary with individual expertise we always offer a wide variety of sporting and musical activities. The teaching of both music and P.E. are strengths of the school and these are well supported by our clubs.
P.E. Clubs - Gymnastics, football, rugby
Music Clubs - Recorders, violin, flute
Other Clubs - Board games, ICT.
Children regularly enter tournaments for rugby and football. Our musicians, as well as playing for our Carol Service and end of year concerts, play at both our own and St. Michael’s Church Fete. As the original village school in Colehill we like to support the local community whenever we can
primary schools in Wimborne,
secondary schools in Wimborne,
schools in Wimborne