|Hillside Road, BH31 7HE, UK Verwood|
+44 (0)1202 822737
Hillside Community First School is an enthusiastic and committed community of people who care about children and their education. Staff, parents, governors and friends support our children to develop as confident learners, compassionate individuals and as members of a caring community.
At Hillside Community First School teaching aims to ensure that all pupils:
We strive to provide an environment and opportunities that enable pupils:
- are interested, motivated and enjoy their work;
- achieve success and derive satisfaction from their achievements;
- have confidence in their ability to work at an appropriate level;
- have equality of access to a broad and balanced curriculum
- can work individually and as a member of a group;
- learn in a purposeful atmosphere where there is respect between adults and pupils.
- to develop their ideas through independent enquiry;
- to take appropriate responsibility for the organisation and care of learning resources;
- to develop a sense of pride in their own achievements and the achievements of others;
- use modern technologies and ICT to enhance their learning across all areas of the curriculum.
- to develop an awareness of their role in the development and conservation of the school and wider environment.
The National Curriculum, Early Learning Goals and Literacy and Numeracy Strategies guide the school in respect of the subjects to be taught and the standards to be attained. We teach:
Hillside Community First School aims to teach all National Curriculum subjects and RE within a supportive and professional framework and within a timetable appropriate to different year groups. We teach a daily literacy hour, a daily maths lesson, and PE every week, but other subjects may be taught in blocks and may not necessarily take place every week.
- design and technology
- information and communication technology
- art and design
- physical education.
- we also teach religious education.
We believe in traditional values combined with modern teaching methods. Our curriculum aims to develop the ‘whole child’ and we recognise citizenship, religious education and moral and health education as important aspects of personal development. We aim to promote awareness, understanding and respect for different cultures and lifestyles. Although we are not a church school Hillside Community First School promotes the moral and cultural values from within a broadly Christian ethos.
As a first school we educate children from Reception (4-5 years of age) to Year 4 (8-9 year olds). Our standard admissions level is 60 with two classes of 30 children per year group. We currently have 11 classes, this includes an additional class unit established to respond to local development.
The school is situated in spacious grounds which border heath-land and forest. The school building consists of the original 1960’s block which currently accommodates classes for our younger children and is where we locate the school hall, library and computer suite. We also have a number of ‘mobile units’ which accommodate the older children.
We also benefit from a large sports field and tennis courts.
Our purpose-built ICT suite contains 16 networked PCs. The suite is fully air-conditioned and provides a comfortable, well equipped environment for learning.
primary schools in Verwood,
secondary schools in Verwood,
schools in Verwood