|Parkstone Grammar School (Girls)|
|Sopers Lane, BH17 7EP, UK Poole|
+44 (0)1202 605605
Parkstone is a six-form entry selective school with 1005 students from 12-18 of whom 300 are in the Sixth Form. We are very popular and heavily oversubscribed and although most of our girls live in the Borough of Poole, many come from neighboring authorities eg Dorset and Bournemouth. We believe our popularity can be attributed to a positive school ethos, high standards, excellent examination results, high quality teaching and a caring and friendly approach.
|SCIENCE SPECIALIST STATUS|
More than half of the UK's secondary schools have now gained specialist school status. We are an inclusive school working within a rigorous four-year development plan, designed to improve standards as a whole and to raise performance and participation in Science and Mathematics.
As a science college, we are now recognised as:
As a Science College we use our specialist status to create a challenging environment which raises standards of achievement and the quality of teaching and learning in science and mathematics for all students, leading to whole school improvement in performance.
- building on proven strengths to establish our school as a centre of excellence in these subjects
- breaking new ground in the teaching and learning of Science and Mathematics
using ICT imaginatively to enhance teaching and learning
- using, developing and sharing best practice techniques for raising educational standards
offering a wide variety of vocational and academic routes for pupils of all abilities,
- equipping them with relevant skills for the world of work,
- actively involved in initial teacher training,
- offering pupils enriched opportunities,
- being involved in national initiatives and competitions to motivate, enthuse and excite pupils.
- having an enterprise and international focus to work wherever possible,
- being active partners in a learning community, working closely with our family of schools and the wider community, sharing resources with them,
- supported by science-based industry and higher education
Sixth Form at Parkstone is a great opportunity to flourish in a positive and caring environment where the ability of every student is recognised, developed and rewarded. Aiming high and enabling students to achieve their potential are all part of the ethos and Parkstone Grammar School girls have a high success rate in entering their chosen universities and professions.
New students entering the Sixth Form, become part of a group of approximately 360 year 12 and 13 students. They are placed alongside existing Parkstone girls in tutor groups of about 20 students and quickly adjust to Sixth Form life.
The Sixth Form places new and very different demands on students, who are challenged with the freedom and responsibility of managing their own learning.
Sixth Formers play an active part in school life and take considerable responsibility in the running of the school. They are seen as important and effective role models by the younger girls.
Sixth Form students no longer wear uniform and may drive to school. They can go out at lunchtime and there are occasions when they may go home to study.
Students are given advice on how to complete CV's and Personal Statements, and attend talks on careers, gap years and university. At the end of year 12 and beginning of year 13 students are guided through their UCAS applications.
- Debating Club
primary schools in Poole,
secondary schools in Poole,
schools in Poole