|Hanham Road, Corfe Mullen, BH21 3PX, UK Wimborne|
+44 (0)1202 695722
We recognise that to be successful learners, we need to develop children’s emotional intelligence and self-esteem. At Rushcombe we encourage the children to develop their personal qualities known as the ‘5 Rs’ of Learning Power:
- Resilience: Willingness to have a go and tolerate feelings that come with uncertainty and difficulty.
- Resourcefulness: More than one way of doing things, more than one tool in your kit.
- Reflectiveness: Ability to stop and take stock of the situation, greater self-awareness.
- Reciprocity: The ability to work alone and with others, to be independent, to be collaborative, to be part of a team.
- Responsibility: The children were keen to promote a ‘5th R’ – responsibility: to take responsibility for one’s actions and the consequences.
We welcome and appreciate the support and involvement of parents and the wider community in the life of our school. Our aims are:
- To value each child as an individual
- To provide a learning environment which is purposeful, well-planned and stimulating
- To offer a variety of experiences and opportunities so that each child achieves their full potential
- To develop each child’s personal qualities necessary to become a successful life-long learner
- To create a community of enquiry in which thinking and reflection is developed
- To create a positive and caring atmosphere in which each child is encouraged to respect and value themselves and others
Rushcombe First School is a Dorset LEA school, organised into 5 groups.
Each year has its’ own teaching area (base) and team of 2 teachers and teacher assistants. There is a common policy of layout and organisation throughout the school, with flexibility to meet the needs of your child. Each child has a class teacher who is responsible for their welfare and happiness, for links with parents, for record keeping and assessment.
During the day, your child will be taught by both teachers in the base, and at times by the Headteacher and other staff with particular curriculum expertise.
To ensure a happy start to school life, all children registered to join Rushcombe First are invited to attend our pre-school club, for weekly sessions during the term prior to admission date.
Through our pre-school club, children have the opportunity to get to know their school, teachers and the children they will be working with. It can remove many of the worries that some children and parents may have and helps to make starting school (officially) a happy time!
Each term, we provide a range of interesting clubs for the older children to join at lunchtime and after school. These depend very much on the member of staff and their interests and expertise. The clubs vary from term to term, and have included guitar, chess, patchwork, craft, ball skills, gardening, dance and computer club.
The school also has its own football team ‘Rushcombe Rovers’ and swimming and netball teams, who compete in friendly local mini-leagues. The school is also famous for its steel pan band.
Peripatetic music: Tuition is available for a variety of musical instruments. There is a charge for this service.
primary schools in Wimborne,
secondary schools in Wimborne,
schools in Wimborne