|Shaftesbury School and Sports College|
|Salisbury Road, SP7 8ER, UK Shaftesbury|
+44 (0)1747 854498
Shaftesbury School is a thriving 11-18 voluntary controlled school set high above the Blackmore Vale on the edge of the ancient and picturesque town of Shaftesbury.
Since 1999 it has held Specialist Sports College status, and is the only maintained school in Dorset to offer boarding education.
Our aim is to empower every individual who participates in our community to realise his/her aspirations. At the heart of our school are the values of our Christian Foundation, the ideals of the Olympic movement and the spirit of internationalism.
Departmental Philosophy: ‘Enjoy, Achieve, Aspire’
Fulfilling Aspirations through Sport
High Quality Physical Education
All members of the PE department are committed to the delivery of High Quality PE, both within lessons and through extra-curricular activities. This involves:
- Students are always motivated to bring their PE kit and participate in lessons
- Students know what they are being taught and understand lesson objectives
- Students are aware of the healthy benefits of exercise in their lives
- Students have the confidence to perform and lead other students
- Students are able to develop skills in a range of sports
- Students willingly participate in challenging, competitive and creative sports
- Students will make decisions for themselves based on their understanding of sport
- Students show a desire to improve and achieve in relation to their own abilities
- Students have the stamina, suppleness and strength to keep going
- Students value and enjoy PE, school and community sport and participate with enthusiasm
There is a wide range of opportunities available to you as a student over the age of sixteen. Some eight years ago, in order to provide even more opportunities, Shaftesbury School and Sturminster Newton High School formed a Sixth Form partnership. This means that we are able to offer an increased number of subjects and a more extensive choice of subject combinations. It has the added benefit of students being taught, as far as possible, by familiar faces but, if need be, they may choose a subject which is being run at the other site; a short bus journey away.
The Shaftesbury and Sturminster Sixth Form values all students and believes that each individual has an equal entitlement to an appropriate high quality education that enables them to achieve.
The Shaftesbury and Sturminster Partnership means that we offer an increased number of subjects and a more extensive choice of subject combinations. Exciting and innovative courses provide a flexibility to tailor the course to the individual student.
We recognise that there are many personal skills in demand by both universities and employers. Skills of communication, application of number and information technology, as well as taking responsibility for your own learning, working with others and problem solving are important elements taught within the subject areas.
All students have the opportunity to attend extra-curricular activities to further improve their skills regardless of their current ability. We aim to make sure that a wide range of activities are offered in order to further develop and extend pupils abilities. Students are given the opportunity to ask for activities that are not currently being offered, and we aim to provide these if we can.
We change the extra curricular timetable to coincide with the sporting seasons and to fit in with established sporting events on the calendar.
primary schools in Shaftesbury,
secondary schools in Shaftesbury,
schools in Shaftesbury