The school was established in 1912 in buildings facing Simons Road to accommodate the northward expansion of the town.It was subsequently enlarged during the Second World War when the infant school in Tinneys Lane was bombed. The school lost its senior children in the late 1950's when secondary education was reorganised. The current purpose built accommodation was completed in July 1998 and was officially opened by HRH the Prince of Wales in April 1999. It comprises eleven classrooms with a nominal capacity of 330 pupils and provides additional space for a hall, music room, newly enlarged special needs department and a library/computer room.
The outdoor space is well utilised with room for a soccer pitch, training areas, netball courts and space for sports. The school uses local facilities for swimming and other sports as required.