|St Mary`s C E V C Primary School|
|Skilling Hill Road, DT6 5LA, UK Bridport|
+44 (0)1308 423065
St Mary's CE VC Primary School is located in Bridport, Dorset. The school has about 220 children on roll from reception to year 6.
At St Mary’s we aim to:
- create a happy environment where children can learn and develop
- encourage respect for each other and our communities
- prepare children to get the best out of life
- provide an enjoyable and valuable education
- discover how children can fulfil their potential
We provide teaching styles to meet the needs of the pupil. This could mean pupils working independently or in groups. Children who are particularly gifted can join older Year groups to work with more able peers. We offer a range of special activities for children who are especially talented. We have an excellent record with special needs learning and have been very successful at improving dyslexia and concentration levels.
If your child needs support in any areas of learning we will quickly set up a programme to help them succeed in class.
Our literacy teaching programme based upon the idea of synthetic phonics is enabling all children to become fluent confident readers and writers.
We have invested heavily in our libraries and all children have guided reading sessions five times a week. It is a time where children are taught how to read and how to enjoy books. In the 21st century our children need to be fluent in using computers and new technology. At St Mary’s we want every child and teacher to have access to a computer or white board at any time. As well as teaching children computer skills we are passionate about showing them how to apply those skills across all subjects.
Like all schools we follow the National Curriculum as prescribed by the Department for Education and Science but we pride ourselves on our ability to innovate and illuminate it to meet all learners needs. We’ve worked hard to create a broad balanced and exciting curriculum. Children spend mornings studying literacy and numeracy. Afternoons are mainly devoted to the arts, PE and humanities. We use topics such as the Romans or World War 2 to interest the children and make links across all prescribed curriculum areas.
- eleven experienced, highly qualified and friendly staff including trained art and music teachers and a team of talented and dedicated teaching assistants
- dedicated subject leaders committed to sharing their knowledge and passion with all
- mixed ability classes designed to provide suitable styles and levels of learning for your child
- a well-equipped, comfortable school with two libraries, a state-of-the-art ICT suite, two halls and attractive display and exhibition areas.
- a beautiful green and spacious setting providing open views, gardens, a wild garden, pond, three large playgrounds and plenty of equipment for sports and play.
- a wide range of lunchtime and after school clubs and early opening hours. See the list of clubs in the brochure – these do vary slightly from term to term – especially outdoor sporting clubs.
- on-site playgroup.
- a warm welcome to parents with plenty of opportunities to get involved with the school and your child’s education.
primary schools in Bridport,
secondary schools in Bridport,
schools in Bridport