|The Lady St Mary C E VC First School|
|Streche Road, BH20 4PG, UK Wareham|
+44 (0)1929 552517
The Lady St Mary C.E. V.C. First School is part of the comprehensive system of education operating in the Purbeck area. The school has been established on the present site since 1976. The building is of modern design and is spacious. Excellent indoor and outdoor facilities are enjoyed.
· to encourage a balance between rights and responsibilities and to work in partnership with Parents, Governors and the wider community for the benefit of the children.
- to build a school community based on Christian principles;
- to create an environment for learning that is healthy, happy, safe, secure and aesthetically pleasing;
- to provide equal opportunities for all regardless of gender or race;
- to encourage mutual trust and respect and to foster independence and self-discipline;
- to work towards building a school community of shared values and care through example and consistency;
- to promote a curriculum that offers appropriate challenges, that works towards raising achievement, that encourages imagination and creativity and provides opportunities for building self-esteem;
- to celebrate personal effort and achievement;
- to foster clear communications and co-operation;
- to help each member of the school community to work towards fulfilling their potential, intellectually, physically, emotionally and spiritually;
We use the best of traditional and current teaching and learning methods in order to achieve the aims of our school.
Sometimes children are taught in class groups, sometimes in smaller groups and sometimes in ones or twos, depending upon the work in hand.
The school makes every effort to keep resources and equipment up to date, appropriate and relevant. We use libraries, museum visits and experts to supplement our resources and give the children first-hand experiences of quality.
|PRE-SCHOOL “LITTLE GEMS CLUB” |
If your child has been registered on our admission list you will receive details about our Little Gems Club a term or so before your child is due to start school. The transition from home to school for four year olds needs to be managed with sensitivity and understanding. Our Little Gems Club is an opportunity for the children to become used to the building, the toilets, the pegs and which door to use etc. Settling in is very personal but research has shown it can take some children up to a term. We are very aware of the individual needs of our youngest children and our staff are keen to ensure that they all have the most favourable start to their education.
Children due to start school are eligible to attend the Little Gems Club on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons from 1.15 – 2.55pm. Sessions cost £2.00 and are a good introduction to school activities and expectations. There is no charge to families in receipt of Income Support.
|THE CURRICULUM AFTER PRE-SCHOOL |
The Governors, Headteacher and Staff recognise that the curriculum is the sum total of what your child experiences as a member of the school.
Strong emphasis is put on learning in all subject areas of the curriculum. Equal emphasis is put upon setting high expectations in work and behaviour, so that all individuals have opportunity to achieve full potential. The school ethos is positive and caring. There are clear school policies for curriculum teaching and behaviour. Parents are informed about all our policies as part of the open relationship which is enjoyed. Education must be a partnership between home and school.
The first experiences of school life take place in Early years Class. The curriculum is especially designed to suit the needs of our youngest children.
The OFSTED Inspectors reported that “the reception classes are characterised by clear objectives, good relationships, good behaviour and enthusiastic children who respond well to their teachers. Teaching is good and sometimes very good.”
primary schools in Wareham,
secondary schools in Wareham,
schools in Wareham