The existing school was originally built in 1905 to serve the communities of Powfoot and Cummertrees, and is situated between the two villages. More recently, its catchment area has grown to include Clarencefield, Ruthwell and the surrounding areas.
The school was refurbished to a high standard in 1993 and the building currently has 3 main classrooms, a General Purpose Room and a demountable classroom base.
Transport by private bus is provided for pupils living in the designated catchment area. Many others walk or cycle to school, especially in the summer months. Meals are made on the premises and all pupils stay for lunch, either enjoying the school meals or bringing their own packed lunch.
Most pupils move on to Annan Academy for their secondary education and the school has very strong primary/secondary links to facilitate the transfer.