The School Board opened the first purpose-built school in Clydebank in August 1876. This building on Kilbowie Road had room for 446 pupils. But within a dozen years this school too had become overcrowded and had to be replaced. A new school with places for 1500 pupils was built on the site on Kilbowie Road.
From 1972 the High School became one of four comprehensive schools in Clydebank. With the ending of the qualification examination, all pupils, no matter what their ability, were to attend the denominational or non-denominational secondary school established in their areas of the town. By 1974 the High School roll had risen to 1500 pupils, with a staff of over 100.