Balshaw's C. E. High School is a school with long traditions and a reputation second to none for academic excellence. The original school was founded by a local businessman, Richard Balshaw, in 1782. The present building dates from 1931 with major additions of facilities completed in 1984 and in 2003-05.
We have a continuing programme of expansion and modernisation to to meet the twin challenges of demand for places and the present and future educational needs of our students. Our facilities include all the specialist rooms needed to meet the demands of teaching the National Curriculum, situated in a pleasant site of 23 acres of playing fields.
Some 25 subjects are taught to GCSE and other levels and a large proportion of students gain five or more GCSEs at grades A* to C and over 85% of leavers continue in full-time education at local colleges.