|Great Wood Primary School|
|Beaufort Road, LA4 6UB, UK Morecambe|
+44 (0)1524 416971
Great Wood is a primary school in Morecambe, Lancashire.
Set on a quiet road and surrounded by large playing fields, it has a wooded area behind.
The wood provides not only pleasant surroundings, but is useful for science investigations and observations.
Great Wood is about three quarters of a mile from the sea-front at Morecambe Bay, within easy walking distance, even for the younger children.
- Provide a happy and secure environment where children may realise their full potential.
- Treat all pupils equally as individuals and get to know them well.
- Provide an education designed to give a firm foundation and for the development of the whole person, offering a broad, balanced curriculum, which incorporates the requirements of the National Curriculum and which covers an essential core of knowledge, understanding and skill for the following nine areas of experience:
Linguistic and Literary; Scientific; Mathematical; Technological; Spiritual; Moral; Human and Social; Aesthetic and Creative; Physical.
- Foster confidence and individuality whilst promoting an understanding of values such as self discipline, courtesy, good manners, politeness,restraint, sharing and the need to live in harmony with others.
- Encourage in our pupils a curiosity and enthusiasm for education and knowledge by providing a stimulating learning environment in which experiment and enquiry as well as instruction flourish.
- Establish an awareness of the future and its opportunities.
The school is organised into eleven classes, each with its own class teacher. There are five infant classes, covering Reception, Y1, Y2, age ranges and six junior classes covering the Y3 - Y6 age ranges. Classes are mainly organised on the basis of age and they are all mixed ability classes. Because of the number admitted each year, some vertical grouping is necessary and class groups have to change as the children move up the school. However, we aim to provide as many single-age-group classes as possible in any one academic year and to maintain a separate infant and junior department.
In line with Lancashire County council’s policy, we aim to offer a curriculum which is broad, balanced and varied, which provides a fulfilling education for every child, whatever his or her ability. The curriculum recognises the importance of personal, social and moral development and the needs of individual children.
The school follows closely the current guide lines of the National Curriculum in each of its year groups by planning our schemes of work in relation to the available Attainment Targets and Programmes of Study prescribed by the National Curriculum.
primary schools in Morecambe,
secondary schools in Morecambe,
schools in Morecambe