|John Cross C E V A Primary School|
|Garstang Road, Bilsborrow, PR3 0RE, UK Preston|
+44 (0)1995 640505
John Cross School is situated on the A6 between Preston and Garstang in Lancashire. The school was founded in 1718 with money left in trust by John Cross who wished to provide a school for the poor of the parishes of Bilsborrow and Myerscough. We have 36 children on roll at present.
- To help pupils to develop lively, enquiring minds, the
ability to question and argue rationally and the
ability to apply themselves to tasks.
- To help pupils to appreciate human achievements in
Art, Music, Science, Technology, Literature etc.
- To develop the pupils to their full potential.
- To develop a sense of self-respect, the capacity to live
as independent, self-motivated adults, and to
function as a member of a group.
- To acquire knowledge and skills relevant to adult life
and to the fast changing technological society, at
home, at work and in leisure activities.
- To help pupils to use language and number
- To develop skills in Science and Technology through
- To develop respect for religious and moral values
and ways of life.
- To help pupils to understand the world in which they
live and the interdependence in individuals, groups
- To develop positive relationships between home,
school and the community.
- To develop a broad, balanced curriculum for all the
children as laid down by the programmes of study
The curriculum offered at John Cross School follows
the elements of the National Curriculum laid down by the
Education Reform Act of 1998. There are four core subjects
and six foundation subjects.
Pre-school children are invited to attend each
Wednesday afternoon from the January to July before the
September they are due to start school. This induction
process was commented on in our recent inspection.
Inspectors said, “The excellent induction arrangements give
children a very positive start to school life, enable them to
settle quickly into full time schooling and have a positive impact on their
personal and social
The school is a member of, and participates in Rallies
and Sports Activities organised by the Garstang and District
Schools Sports Association. These activities include
football, skittleball, cricket, rounders, athletics and
swimming. Coaching sessions and practice matches are
held as weather and daylight permit. During the Autumn
and Spring terms Football and Skittleball Clubs are held
after school. In the summer, Cricket, Rounders and
Athletics Clubs are held.
primary schools in Preston,
secondary schools in Preston,
schools in Preston