|Quernmore C E (VC) Primary School|
|Quernmore, LA2 9EL, UK Lancaster|
+44 (0)1524 66628
We are situated on the edge of the Forest of Bowland, about 3 miles from the centre of Lancaster. The school is built next to the church, which is a mile from the nucleus of the village, and is in a delightful rural location and well served by the road network.
The original building of the school – now a Key Stage 2 classroom – was built in 1851 and additions have been made in the 1950’s, 1970’s and more recently in 2000, when a reception classroom was added. We now have four classrooms, a fully equipped hall, as well as resource areas and a library. We are fortunate that all rooms give panoramic views over rolling hills and fields. Every opportunity is taken for the children to take advantage of the school’s extensive grounds during playtimes and lessons.
- The main aim of the school is to enable the children to develop their potential, not only intellectually, but also socially, morally, physically and aesthetically.
- The school is a place where children learn to live together in a community. Its curriculum must be realistic, catering for the needs of individual children.
- The school not only gives children lessons to be mastered but also provides them with new and interesting experiences to be explored.
- The school aims to introduce the children to these experiences in an orderly and planned manner.
- The school helps the children to become as literate and numerate as they are able.
- The school aims to encourage excellence for its own sake not for the extraneous rewards it may bring.
- The school aims to encourage children to respond to a multicultural, multi-faith society in order that they should have an insight into the underlying values and concerns which different cultures and societies have in common.
- The school seeks to provide a caring, stable environment and happy friendly atmosphere, allowing the children to develop self confidence and a sense of responsibility.
- We hope that the clean and attractive environment will be reflected in the children in good manners, tidiness, and a consideration for others.
Where appropriate, the curriculum has an environmental focus. Many topics covered in school lend themselves to learning about the environment and considering our impact upon it. Good use is made of the diverse habitats in the two woodland areas, the nature garden and elsewhere in the school grounds, for educational purposes. From this, children learn to respect and develop an understanding of nature in all its forms.
The teachers and support staff raise awareness of environmental issues, not just through delivery of the curriculum, but also through demonstrating good practice in their management of the classroom and the surroundings of the school. From this lead, the children are encouraged to act in an environmentally responsible way. There are many opportunities for reusing and recycling in school and techniques for saving energy are actively promoted.
Our aim is to provide a quality, investigative education, enriched by experiences gained from using the environment whenever appropriate. Our high expectations help children fulfill their potential within a broad and balanced curriculum.
- Sports Taster Sessions
- Mad Science
primary schools in Lancaster,
secondary schools in Lancaster,
schools in Lancaster