|Knowlwood Road, Shade, OL14 7PD, UK Todmorden|
+44 (0)1706 812913
Shade Primary School is situated in the small community of Shade which is located on the edge of the town of Todmorden. The school was built in 1904 and celebrated its centenary in 2004.
The buildings are of traditional Victorian character. The school is located next to the A6033 road and the River Calder actually flows under the school playground.
There are 183 full-time pupils currently on-roll. In addition, 26 children attend the school's nursery unit. The photograph on the right shows a group of children dressed in Victorian costume, which was done as part of the school's anniversary celebrations.
The number of teaching staff employed, including the Headteacher, as at September 2007, was eight full-time and two part-time. Additionally, nine Teaching Assistants are employed, including a full-time nursery nurse.
- Educate the whole child to their full potential creating a well rounded individual
- Have very high standards in all we do
- Support all children to become keen, well disciplined, and enthusiastic who enjoy school and who are respected members of the community
- Develop a positive, enjoyable, friendly, and happy ethos in an attractive, secure, positive and purposeful learning environment based on equality of opportunity
- Work in partnership with the local community
- Prepare children with life long skills
The curriculum outlined below applies to pupils throughout the school. The staff uses a variety of teaching methods, choosing the method most appropriate to the class/subject they are teaching. Therefore, class teaching, group work and individual tasks are used depending upon which is the most beneficial. The emphasis being on class teaching with planned provision for more able and less able pupils. Subject teaching occurs in all KS1 and KS2 classes.
There are several extra-curricular activities. These vary each year according to the interests of staff and of the pupils. Recently, IT, recorder, golf, baking, chess, sports clubs and choir have been held. Football and netball training sessions for boys and girls have been followed by inter-school matches and participation in the local carnival football competition.
primary schools in Todmorden,
secondary schools in Todmorden,
schools in Todmorden