Why choose the University of Bolton?
How to Apply?
Undergraduate and Further Education Applicants
Postgraduate and Continuing Professional Development
Fees, Funding and Finance
Policies, Procedures and Regulations
Alumni and Friends
Research and Enterprise
Life and Leisure
News and Events
Why choose the University of Bolton?
Ask our students and they will tell you it's the high levels of support, in and out of academic study, that makes the University of Bolton stand out.
We offer a full and challenging range of courses – from HNDs and foundation degrees to undergraduate, Masters, MPhil and PhD research degrees. We also have Continuing Professional Development and Short Courses to offer.
Whatever you choose, we're committed to you as an individual. Giving you the best start for your professional future is at the heart of all we do. Our excellent teaching and student facilities are centred around a helpful and stimulating environment. Our staff are highly qualified and experienced and are your key to a successful career. This is why:
- The government's quality control agency for universities, the Quality Assurance Agency (QAA), has given us the highest level of recommendation possible in its recent institutional audit (published 2006);
- We also have QAA 'excellent' ratings for subjects including biology, education, health studies, nursing, philosophy, psychology and textiles while our research in metallurgy and materials, English and philosophy is recognised as having national, and in some instances, international importance;
- The University of Bolton is ranked top in the north-west for student satisfaction, according to the Sunday Times' Good University Guide 2008. The guide ranks us in the top 15 of all UK universities when it comes to student satisfaction;
- University of Bolton students quickly move into graduate employment or further study. We are within the regions' top five universities for the number of students who find graduate-level jobs or carry on with their education six months after graduation (Sunday Times Good University Guide 2008 Guide);
- We invest in our students' environment. We spent an average of £345 per full-time education student on facilities last year. This places us in the top 15% of UK universities (Higher Education Funding Council for England, 2006).
At the University of Bolton we have big ambitions – for you and for ourselves. Our contribution to learning in Bolton traces back over 150 years. We became the University of Bolton in 2005, but we have a proven track record, delivering and awarding our own degree programmes for more than a decade.
We already offer two intakes a year – In September and February – but we will be aiming to create the most flexible learning programmes we can over the next ten years. We are also committed to developing services for our Alumni community during that timeframe.
More than 70% of our students come from the North West and we know that a great many of you will be the first from their families to come to university. We believe learning can transform lives, transform communities and we are proud of our achievements in helping individuals and communities achieve.
Great relationships with employers
What is going to give you the edge with your future employers? Hands-on knowledge of your profession is going to give you a flying start when it comes to securing the first job on your career ladder. That's why relationships with employers are so important to us.
Practical, professional training built into University of Bolton courses gives Bolton graduates a distinct advantage in the workplace. Many are exposed to new employment opportunities by working on 'live' projects for businesses during their study, or through course related placements. The relevance of Bolton programmes are maintained through our ongoing work with employers such as Alfred McAlpine, Marks and Spencer, Network Rail, the NHS and Reebok.
We hope you have found this website welcome helpful. We look forward to welcoming you, in person, on campus.
The University of Bolton, Deane Road, Bolton, BL3 5AB Tel: +44 (0)1204 900600