Life at Brunel
News and Events
Brunel is a world-class university based in Uxbridge, West London. Born just over 40 years ago, Brunel’s distinctive mission has always been to combine academic rigour with the practical, entrepreneurial and imaginative approach pioneered by our namesake Isambard Kingdom Brunel.
A Strong Research Ethos
As befits a university with Brunel’s history and reputation, research is at the heart of all we do. It underpins and contributes to the generation of most of our taught courses. Moreover, Brunel’s research ethos generates a culture of intellectual endeavour that is fundamental to the achievement and success of all students and staff of the University; it also encourages the cross-fertilisation of ideas and expertise for which we have long been famous.
Building a New Brunel
The University is nearing completion of its £250 million campus redevelopment programme and now possesses an impressive range of modern, state-of-the-art facilities, including:
- UEFA-class football facilities, competition-standard athletics complex and refurbished sports and fitness centre;
- Extended library building, holding a hugely increased book and journal collection, more computer workstations and group study areas, an Assistive Technology Centre for disabled students, and a café;
- 18 halls of residence and a new residential ‘village’ that brings our on-campus accommodation up to 4,571 rooms;
- New Health Sciences and Social Care building, opened by Her Majesty the Queen;
- Spectacular new Engineering and Design annex and atrium, including an impressive exhibition space;
- Student facilities complex with a stunning atrium entrance opening onto dining space, bars, the Students’ Union and retail outlets.
The new Health and Social Care Building
To find out more about the University, its history and other facts
and figures, please follow the links below or in the left-hand margin.