Education in UK
Add school to
Staffordshire University

Last modified:
American InterContinental University - London
The Norton Knatchbull School - Ashford
Gossops Green Community Primary School - Gossops Green
Great Ballard School - Chichester
Georgian Gardens Community Primary School - Rustington
Fordwater School - Chichester
Fonthill Lodge School - East Grinstead
Fairway Infant School - Copthorne
Elm Grove Infant School - Littlehampton
Elm Grove First School - Worthing
Yew Tree Primary School - Yew Tree Estate
Yew Tree Community Primary School - Aston
Woodway Park School & Community College - Coventry
Woodthorpe Primary School - Kings Heath
Woodrush Community High School - Specialist Technology College - Birmingham
Woodlands Primary School - Willenhall
Woodfield Infant School - Penn
Wood Green High School College of Sport - Wood Green Road
Wolverhampton Grammar School - Wolverhampton
Wolverhampton Girls High School - Wolverhampton
Wollescote Primary School - Wollescote
Wodensfield Primary School - Wednesfield
Wodensborough Community Technology College - Wednesbury
Withymoor Primary School - Off Turners Lane Quarry Bank
Willenhall School Sports College - Willenhall
Whitehouse Common Primary School - Sutton Coldfield
Edward Bryant Primary School - Bognor Regis
Eastergate C E Primary School - Eastergate
West House School - Edgbaston
East Wittering Community Primary School - East Wittering
Welford Primary School - Handsworth
East Preston Junior School - East Preston
Wednesfield Village Primary School - Wednesfield
East Preston Infant School - East Preston
Wednesfield College (Specialist Engineering School) - Wednesfield
Durrington Middle School - Durrington
Ward End Primary School - Ward End
Walsgrave C E Primary School - Coventry
Durrington First School - Durrington

Brunel University
Uxbridge, Middlesex , UB8 3PH, UK West London
+44 (0)1895 265265

About Us Courses Life at Brunel Students International Students Academic Schools Research Business Campus Accommodation Money Matters News and Events


Information and Residences Regulations | Accommodation Office Policy | FAQs

Welcome to the Brunel Accommodation Office

Online preference form for First Year Students

Information for Clearing Students

Information for Undergraduate Students

Information for Postgraduate Students

Download the Accommodation Guide 2008/09

The Accommodation Office is responsible for the allocation of undergraduate, postgraduate and research students to University Residences.

  • The Uxbridge campus provide self-catering accommodation for approximately 3,229 students in 17 Halls of Residence.
  • A number of the Residences feature bedrooms with en suite facilities.
  • There is a variety of accommodation including single bedrooms in halls with shared bathrooms and kitchens, and modern flats where several bedrooms are grouped around a shared kitchen/dining area.
  • All rooms on campus have IT network access points.

Off-Campus Housing

Looking for somewhere to live off-campus? Then visit the University Off-Campus Housing Office. We can advise on all aspects of finding somewhere to live, whether through this Office or through outside agents or private lets. With several options available, there is something to suit all students.

Head Lease Scheme | Lodgings/Rooms | Advertised Properties | Sharing with Other Students | More Information | Contact Us

Head Lease Scheme

The University runs a Head Leasing scheme. This is, in simple terms, where we rent a property from a private landlord and then rent it on to a group of students to share together. The Housing Office will take care of the property management, ie collection of rent, resolving repair issues etc, and will refer to the landlord when necessary.

Head Lease properties are generally properties of three bedrooms and over. Most tenancies run for 51 weeks, usually commencing in June (some may be shorter but this depends on the individual property). This means that rent is charged for the summer vacation in most instances.

To apply for a Head Lease property, make sure that you are definite as to who will be in your group. You will then need to complete the application form, available from the Housing Office or online. Once we have made some checks, you will be offered a viewing of a suitable property. There may be up to three groups viewing the same property. Each group will be prioritised, with group one having first refusal, group two second refusal, and so on.

On accepting a property, each person in the group will have to pay a £250 deposit. This will hold the property and will become your deposit once your Tenancy begins. Apart from rent, there are no other charges made by the University. However, you will have to pay all utilities, eg gas, electric and water rates.

A Tenancy Agreement will be drawn up within the next few days and all members of the group will need to come to the Housing Office to sign the original. At this time, you will be given a sheet detailing when and where to pick up keys for moving in.

Download Head Lease application form (Word Doc 44 KB)

Download 'Head Lease - How it Works' (Word Doc 1.3 MB)


Lodgings are where a resident landlord rents out empty room/s in their own home. You will usually you share bathroom and kitchen facilities with the landlord and their family, or other lodgers. The facilities available vary widely dependant on the landlord.

These landlords have to provide the relevant safety certificates for gas and electric but not all lodgings rooms are inspected by the Housing Office Team.

On production of your student ID card, we will print you the available lodgings/rooms list. You will then need to contact the individual landlord to arrange a viewing. At the viewing, ask any questions you may have, (eg what facilities you can use, where do you store you food, what are the house rules). If you like the property, you agree terms with the landlord.

Advertised Properties

The Housing Office holds lists of various sized rental properties, from studio apartments to 6 or 7 bedroom houses. These properties are owned by private landlords who wish to manage the property themselves.

These properties will all have been inspected by a member of the Housing Office Team and the landlord will have supplied the relevant safety certificates for gas and electric and met the new health and safety requirements, eg fitting of fire doors, mains wired smoke alarms etc.

On production of your student ID card, we can give you details of appropriate properties for your group. You will then need to contact the individual landlords to arrange an appointment for viewing.

Upon choosing a property you will need to pay a deposit to the landlord and probably a month’s rent in advance. The landlord will draw up a Tenancy Agreement which all members of the group and the landlord are required to sign. At this point you generally agree the arrangements for moving in to the property.

Sharing with other students

We also have options for those who want to share with others but don’t know where to start looking. The Housing Office has a Student Notice Board where students can advertise spare rooms in an already rented house. If you choose to find accommodation in this way, you would normally join them for the time remaining in their tenancy agreement.

You can also place a card here if you are searching for a room, so others can contact you.

More Information

Council Tax
If you are a full-time student you will be exempt from paying Council Tax,  but you will need to hand in an exemption certificate to the Hillingdon Borough Council's Council Tax Office or you may find you will have to pay. If you haven't done so already, you can arrange to collect your certificate from the Student Centre in the Bannerman Centre or via your e:vision portal.

Download information on Private Rental Costs
(Word Doc 1.3 MB)

Download information on Gas, Electricity and Water Rates (Word Doc 1.3 MB)

Contact Us

For more information about any of the options, you can drop into the Housing Office, which is opposite the Medical Centre or, if you prefer, you can contact us by email or telephone.

The Housing Office
Brunel University

Tel +44 (0)1895 266187

primary schools in West London, secondary schools in West London, schools in West London

Editorial office:
tel. + 48 (094)