Education in UK
Add school to
Staffordshire University

Last modified:
American InterContinental University - London
The Norton Knatchbull School - Ashford
Gossops Green Community Primary School - Gossops Green
Great Ballard School - Chichester
Georgian Gardens Community Primary School - Rustington
Fordwater School - Chichester
Fonthill Lodge School - East Grinstead
Fairway Infant School - Copthorne
Elm Grove Infant School - Littlehampton
Elm Grove First School - Worthing
Yew Tree Primary School - Yew Tree Estate
Yew Tree Community Primary School - Aston
Woodway Park School & Community College - Coventry
Woodthorpe Primary School - Kings Heath
Woodrush Community High School - Specialist Technology College - Birmingham
Woodlands Primary School - Willenhall
Woodfield Infant School - Penn
Wood Green High School College of Sport - Wood Green Road
Wolverhampton Grammar School - Wolverhampton
Wolverhampton Girls High School - Wolverhampton
Wollescote Primary School - Wollescote
Wodensfield Primary School - Wednesfield
Wodensborough Community Technology College - Wednesbury
Withymoor Primary School - Off Turners Lane Quarry Bank
Willenhall School Sports College - Willenhall
Whitehouse Common Primary School - Sutton Coldfield
Edward Bryant Primary School - Bognor Regis
Eastergate C E Primary School - Eastergate
West House School - Edgbaston
East Wittering Community Primary School - East Wittering
Welford Primary School - Handsworth
East Preston Junior School - East Preston
Wednesfield Village Primary School - Wednesfield
East Preston Infant School - East Preston
Wednesfield College (Specialist Engineering School) - Wednesfield
Durrington Middle School - Durrington
Ward End Primary School - Ward End
Walsgrave C E Primary School - Coventry
Durrington First School - Durrington

University of Central England, Birmingham
Perry Barr, B42 2SU, UK Birmingham
+44 (0) 121 331 5000

About the University About Birmingham Why UCE? Our Courses Students International Students Staff Info Our Research Business Services University Mission Campus and Accommodation Student Finance Applying to Study News and Events

Student Finance

Entry Fees, bursaries and financial support

There are two main costs involved in going to university - tuition fees and living costs.

Tuition Fees

September 2006 saw the introduction of 'variable fees' for UK and EU students starting a full-time undergraduate course at a UK university. This means that all universities can charge these students fees of up to £3,070 per year for their course. Undergraduate courses include first degrees, HNDs and Foundation Degrees. These fees will not have to be paid until you graduate – instead you will be able to take out a loan to cover the cost up to the full amount being charged which will be paid back through your earnings once you are working.

A summary of the course fees at UCE Birmingham:

UK and EU students (click here for International)



Full-time First Degrees


£3070 per year 1

Full-time HND


£1,225 per year

Foundation Year for a 4 year course



Foundation Degrees


£1,225 per year

Part-Time Undergraduate


£160 per module

Note :

1 : £1,225 is the standard fee for students who entered HE before 1st September 2006

Living Costs, Student Loans and Financial Support

Support for living costs may come in different forms: grants (of up to £2,765 for students from lower income households), additional grants for students with particular needs or circumstances, bursaries, loans and the Access to Learning Fund.

You will need to contact the Local Authority (LA) in the area that you live (not the LA in the area where you will be studying) for an application form or apply via Student Finance Direct at Your LA will tell you whether you qualify for any grants and how much loan you can take out to cover your tuition fees and / or living costs. Any grants and loans for living costs will be paid directly into your bank or building society account, usually in three instalments. If you opt to take out a student loan for fees this will be paid direct to the University to cover the cost of the fees. If you opt not to take out a student loan for fees you will need to make arrangements to pay the University yourself.

You do not need to wait until you receive an offer of a place before you apply to your LA for financial support. Your LA will tell you what you have to do to get help in time for the start of your course.

UCE Birmingham Bursaries

During 2007/08 Government legislation requires all institutions charging variable tuition fees of £3070 to provide a support bursary of £305 for eligible undergraduate students.  Full-time undergraduate and PGCE students who qualify for a full maintenance grant must receive this bursary.  To qualify for a full maintenance grant a student’s household income must be £17,910 or less. Students who are not paying variable fees are not eligible for this bursary, neither are EU and international students, NHS contract students or students who have previously received government support for a higher education qualification.

UCE Birmingham has decided to provide more support for its new and continuing students by offering two non-repayable bursaries and by also making them available to students who qualify for a partial maintenance grant, not just those who qualify for a full grant.  To qualify for a partial maintenance grant a student’s household income must be £38330 or less. 

Our bursaries will be paid separately and are intended to provide support for books, equipment and/or travel.  The first, the UCE Birmingham Study Bursary of £305, will be available to all eligible students.  The second bursary of £207, the UCE Birmingham Assessment Bursary, will be available to eligible students who have attempted all the assessments for which they are registered in the academic year 2007/08. This period will be adjusted for students on programmes with non-standard academic years.  Students who do not attempt all of their assessments will not be eligible for the UCE Birmingham Assessment Bursary.  

UCE Birmingham Study Bursary - £305
If you are eligible and begin, or re-enrol, on your course in September 2007 and are still in attendance at the University on 1 December 2007, your UCE Birmingham Study Bursary will be paid directly into your bank account by the SLC.  This payment will normally be made by 28 February 2008.

If you are eligible and begin, or re-enrol, on your course of study in January 2008 and are still in attendance at the University on 1 May 2008, your UCE Birmingham Study Bursary will be paid directly into your bank account by the SLC.  This payment will normally be made by 15 June 2008.

UCE Birmingham Assessment Bursary - £207
If you are eligible and begin, or re-enrol, on your course of study in September 2007 and attempt all of the assessments for which you are registered in 2007/08, you will receive a UCE Birmingham Assessment Bursary of £207. This will be paid directly into your bank account normally by 31 August 2008.

Eligible students who begin, or re-enrol, on their course in January 2008 who attempt all of the assessments for which they are registered will receive a UCE Birmingham Assessment Bursary of £207. This will be paid directly into your bank account, normally by 31 December 2008.

How do I apply for the UCE Birmingham Bursaries?
You do not need to complete a separate application form for these bursaries. However, you must have completed an ‘Application for Student Finance 2007/08’ (form PN1) which is available from your Local Authority or Student Finance Direct This form will be used to assess your eligibility.  To allow your bursaries to be paid you and your parents/legal guardians (if appropriate) must have signed the Bursary Consent Statement on the PN1 to allow your details to be shared with the University.  If you have not done this your bursaries cannot be paid into your bank account. 

Is my course eligible for a bursary?
Eligible courses include all full time undergraduate and PGCE courses whose tuition fees are £3,070 for the academic year 2007/08.

For more information please contact Student Services on 0121 331 6387 or email Student Services on

Other Financial Assistance

The University has an Access to Learning Fund to provide support to students in need, in particular to help them access and remain in higher education. Other funding may also be available depending on an individual’s circumstances.

Student Services is also able to provide help and support with a range of financial issues including money management.

For up-to-date information on all these services, please contact the Academic Registry, Student Services or your Faculty Office.

Further Information

Detailed information on fees and student financial support is available on the Aimhigher website: the DfES student support website: and from your Local Education Authority.

In addition the Department for Education and Skills (DfES) publishes a guide which sets out the financial support arrangements for those entering higher education. The guide is published annually and is circulated to schools and colleges. Copies are available by calling the DfES freephone information line on 0800 731 9133, or by contacting the DfES website,

Our Student Financial Advisers will be giving further information and guidance on UCE Birmingham fees, bursaries and other student financial support at all UCE Birmingham Open Days and visit days. Alternatively, you can contact them on 0121 331 5588.

Nursing, Midwifery and Other Healthcare Students

Eligible students on the Diploma course in Nursing will continue to receive a bursary from the Department of Health. The bursary includes payment of tuition fees and a non-means-tested maintenance award towards living costs.

For students undertaking BSc (Hons) degrees in Nursing, Midwifery, Radiography, and Speech and Language Therapy, the Department of Health will pay the course fees and a means-tested bursary. A loan is also available to pay for additional living costs.

Application forms and further details will be sent to appropriate applicants before starting the course.

Further information on financial help for healthcare students visit

Council Tax

This is a local tax comprising a 50% property element and a 50% personal element.

In many cases students will be discounted from the Council Tax. However, a student may be required to provide evidence that s/he is in full-time education at the University. Student certificates are available on request from the appropriate Faculty office.

European Union students

If you are a national of a European Union (EU) country you will be able to apply for a loan to cover your tuition fees. If you apply through UCAS you will be sent an application form when you are offered a place on a course. If you do not apply through UCAS you will be able to get an application form either from your college or you will be sent one from the University. Further details are also available on

At the time of writing, EU students are not eligible for support for living costs through grants, student loans or from the Access to Learning Fund unless they have been resident in the UK for the three years before the start of their course. You should check the Department for Education and Skills' website for up-to-date information:

primary schools in Birmingham, secondary schools in Birmingham, schools in Birmingham

Editorial office:
tel. + 48 (094)