The University of Chester is one of the oldest providers of higher education in the country, with our academic roots stretching back to the early 19th century. Founded in 1839 by a group of prominent local figures, which included Britain’s greatest 19th century Prime Minister, William Gladstone, we pre-date all but a handful of other English universities.
However, at Chester, change is as important as tradition. During our 168-year history, our fundamental mission of educating students for careers of service has continued to evolve and develop, and we have established a broad range of degree choices, which offer our students a high quality experience in a modern and supportive environment.
The University has two campuses, set approximately 25 miles apart, connected by a free shuttle bus service. Our Chester campus is the primary location of undergraduate teaching for a broad range of courses in the Humanities, Social Sciences, Applied Sciences, the Arts, Teacher Training, Nursing, Midwifery and Law, while our Warrington campus is the main site for the thriving courses that address the need for well trained graduates in a variety of vocational areas. Home of the North West Media Centre, Warrington is a leader in the provision of modern media degree courses, such as TV and Radio Production, Commercial Music Production, Film Studies and Advertising. Courses in Computer Science, Business, Journalism, Sport, Graphic Design and Nursing are available on both campuses.
- We were founded in 1839
- In the 1970s a new range of BA and BSc degrees were developed
- In the late 1980s, we became a pilot institution for the concept of work-based learning.
- In the 1990s, the School of Nursing and Midwifery (now known as Faculty of Health and Social Care) was established
- We have over 9,000 students across two campuses
- You can study abroad
- You can undertake work experience
- There are over 50 single honours degrees to choose from
- There are hundreds of potential subject combinations in our combined honours degrees
- Many degrees are accredited by professional bodies
- Have purpose-built on-site halls of residence
- Are staffed 24 hours a day
- Provide modern learning and leisure facilities
- Each have an active Students’ Union, offering a range of clubs and societies
- We have 168 years of experience
- We have a national reputation for work-based learning
- We are a major provider of teacher education and of nursing and midwifery training
- Our compact campuses create a friendly, secure and supportive environment for living and studying
- A commitment to putting our students first
- A promise to give you the support you need to achieve your full potential
- Continued investment in campus facilities
Some of our degrees are based on single, traditional disciplines, such as English, Geography, Theology and Mathematics, while others have been designed to support the practical and vocational demands of today’s professions, including Business, Law and Health Care. For students who prefer to maintain a broader focus at degree level, many subjects may be combined – such as History and Archaeology, Forensic Biology and Criminology, or Advertising and Marketing, so that students have the opportunity to study combinations of subjects that interest them and that can lead to a variety of exciting career options.
Throughout our long history, we have always been proud of our traditions, and of our concern for the individual, as well as our ability to keep pace with the demands of a constantly changing world. As teachers, scholars, advisors and mentors, we are dedicated to providing you with a community engaged in learning, fostered by diversity, strengthened by tradition, and sustained by innovation.
In choosing Chester, you will be selecting an institution with a strong learning tradition, and one which will challenge you to give the best of yourself in your academic work, sport and recreation, and your contribution to our student community. In return, we will give you one of the best experiences of your life.