Education in UK
Add school to
Staffordshire University

Last modified:
American InterContinental University - London
The Norton Knatchbull School - Ashford
Gossops Green Community Primary School - Gossops Green
Great Ballard School - Chichester
Georgian Gardens Community Primary School - Rustington
Fordwater School - Chichester
Fonthill Lodge School - East Grinstead
Fairway Infant School - Copthorne
Elm Grove Infant School - Littlehampton
Elm Grove First School - Worthing
Yew Tree Primary School - Yew Tree Estate
Yew Tree Community Primary School - Aston
Woodway Park School & Community College - Coventry
Woodthorpe Primary School - Kings Heath
Woodrush Community High School - Specialist Technology College - Birmingham
Woodlands Primary School - Willenhall
Woodfield Infant School - Penn
Wood Green High School College of Sport - Wood Green Road
Wolverhampton Grammar School - Wolverhampton
Wolverhampton Girls High School - Wolverhampton
Wollescote Primary School - Wollescote
Wodensfield Primary School - Wednesfield
Wodensborough Community Technology College - Wednesbury
Withymoor Primary School - Off Turners Lane Quarry Bank
Willenhall School Sports College - Willenhall
Whitehouse Common Primary School - Sutton Coldfield
Edward Bryant Primary School - Bognor Regis
Eastergate C E Primary School - Eastergate
West House School - Edgbaston
East Wittering Community Primary School - East Wittering
Welford Primary School - Handsworth
East Preston Junior School - East Preston
Wednesfield Village Primary School - Wednesfield
East Preston Infant School - East Preston
Wednesfield College (Specialist Engineering School) - Wednesfield
Durrington Middle School - Durrington
Ward End Primary School - Ward End
Walsgrave C E Primary School - Coventry
Durrington First School - Durrington

University of Chester
Parkgate Road, CH1 4BJ, UK Chester
+44 (0)1244 512528

About Us Programmes Undergraduate Study Postgraduate Study Meet Our Students International Students Research Departments Learning Resources and Support Accommodation Finance Why Choose Us?

Essential Information - Finance

Tution Fees

pile of coinsThe level of tuition fees charged to a student is governed by UK legislation, which states that certain students may be charged a higher level of fees than those who are classified as UK or European Union (EU) students. In order to enable the University to decide which level of fees to charge individual students, a ‘fee status questionnaire’ will be circulated to students who are offered a place at the University of Chester.

The annual tuition fees for international students (undergraduate and postgraduate taught programmes) commencing studies in 2007-08 are as follows (there may be a small increase in these tuition fees in future years):

  • Subjects based at Warrington Campus (W)
  • SUbjects based at Warrington Campus and Chester Campus (C & W)
  • All others based at Chester Campus

Band D - Fees £6,894 per year



  • Business (C & W)
  • Business Studies
  • Business Management (W)
  • Communication Studies
  • Criminology
  • Cultural Studies (W)
  • English
  • Events Management
  • Heritage Management
  • History
  • International Development Studies
  • Journalism
  • Law
  • Literature and Film
  • Management (C & W)
  • Marketing (C & W)
  • Theology and Religious Studies
  • Tourism/Tourism Management
  • Urban Studies
  • MA Crime and Justice
  • MA Management
  • MA Military History
  • MSc Science and Religion
  • MA Science and Communication
  • MA Theology and Religious Studies: Applied Theology

Band C - Fees £7,506 per year



  • Archaeology
  • Advertising (W)
  • Applied Social Science
  • Business Information Systems
  • Christian Youth Work
  • Computer Science (C & W)
  • Counselling Skills
  • Drama & Theatre Studies
  • E-Business
  • Education Studies
  • Film Studies (W)
  • Fine Art
  • Fine Art:  New Media
  • Forensic Computing
  • Geography
  • Graphic Design (C & W)
  • Information Systems
  • Management
  • Internet Technologies
  • Media (TV Production) (W)
  • Media (Radio Production) (W)
  • Media (Commercial Music
  • Production) (W)
  • Media Studies (W)
  • Modern Languages (French, German, Spanish)
  • Multimedia Technologies (C & W)
  • Network & Communication Systems
  • Performance and New Media
  • Psychology
  • Photography
  • Popular Music
  • Social Work (W)
  • Sport & Exercise Sciences
  • Software Engineering
  • Sport Development (W)
  • MA Counselling
  • MA Fine Art
  • Med
  • MSc Information Systems
  • MSc Legal and Criminological
  • Psychology
  • MSc Mathematics (and Statistics)
  • MA Performance Practice
  • MSc Psychology: Theory Methods and Applications
  • MSc Research Methods
  • MA Social Work
  • MSc Sociology of Sport and Exercise
  • MA TV Production

Band B Fees - £8,046 per year



  • Animal Behaviour/Animal Behaviour and Welfare
  • Biology
  • Biomedical Science
  • Forensic Biology
  • Human Nutrition
  • Natural Hazard Management
  • Nutrition/Nutrition and Dietetics
  • Sport Management (W)
  • MSc Biomedicine
  • MSc Public Health Nutrition

£9,225 for the course

  • MSc Exercise & Nutrition Science
  • MSc Cardiovascular Rehabilitation
  • MSc Weight Management

£8,750 for the course

  • MBA

Visiting Students, irrespective of subject: £3,447 per semester or £6,894 per year

Tuition fees for research study (MPhil and PhD) for 2007/8
Classroom-based research: £8,700
Laboratory-based research: £11,300

Junior Year Abroad: English Language plus academic study
£2,304 - £5,824 depending on start date

International Foundation Programme
Full-year £6,180 – January to July (two terms) £4,120

Please note that the above tuition fees may be subject to change due to inflation

Within the first few days after arrival, students will be asked to register formally with the University (and to choose their modules of study), and to make arrangements for the payment of tuition fees. This can be done in one single payment at the start of each year, or in two instalments throughout the academic year.

Will I pay the 'home' or 'overseas' fee?

studentThe level of tuition fees charged to a student is governed by UK legislation, which states that certain students may be charged a higher level of fees than those who are classified as UK or European Union (EU) students. In order to enable us to decide which level of fees to charge individual students, a fee status questionnaire is circulated to students who are offered a place at University of Chester.

Only certain categories of students will be charged the 'home' fee. Broadly speaking they are:

  • persons who have permanent residence in the UK and have been resident in the UK for three years;
  • EEA migrant workers and their families in the UK who have lived in the EEA for three years;
  • EU nationals and their children who have lived in the EEA for three years;
  • refugees (recognised by the UK government) and their families; and
  • persons who applied for asylum and have been granted exceptional leave to enter/remain, and their families.

To see if you fall into any of these categories, download the UKCOSA Guidance Notes 'Fees and Student Support' .

Can I claim welfare benefits?

If you enter the UK as a student, immigration conditions that apply to you will mean that you cannot normally claim welfare benefits. For further information from UKCOSA about this topic, download the Guidance Notes, 'Welfare and Health Benefits'

How much cash should I bring?

You should have enough money to pay for your transport from the airport to your final destination. You may be staying with friends or family at first so will not have to think about accommodation costs. If not, then you should have at least enough money for one or two nights stay at a 'Bed and Breakfast' and for food during this time. If you can, bring most of this money as travellers' cheques and take out travel insurance to cover you for your first week of stay.

What are the costs of living in Chester or Warrington?

Chester and Warrington, both in the North West of England , are relatively cheap places to live, compared with London and the South of England. It is suggested that you should bring about £5,000 with you for each year, for all living and accommodation expenses and books.

Opening a bank account: don't bring cash!


It is much safer to bring only what is needed for the journey to Chester, plus a little for emergencies, and make arrangements before leaving home to open a new bank account, or transfer a home bank account, to Chester. The main banks in the UK are HSBC, Barclays, Lloyds, Natwest and TSB.

To open a new account, you will need to be enrolled on a course at University of Chester and will need to provide the bank with a student status letter to prove that you are a genuine student. Advice will be offered on arrival at University. UK money is in pounds and pence.   There are 100 pence in each pound (£).

How can I get details of scholarships that are available?

You should contact your local British Council Office about any scholarships that are available to students from your country wishing to study in the UK . British Council Offices in the UK cannot assist you. To find out details of your nearest British Council office click here .  For further information from UKCOSA about this topic click here .

In addition, The British Government offers a number of scholarships each year, including the British Chevening Scholarships, Department for International Development (DfID) scholarships, and (for PhD students) the Overseas Research Students Awards Scheme.    Full details of the various awards are given on the British Council website:

Do we offer financial help for international students?

The University of Chester has its own Bursary scheme. Full-time international students (undergraduate or postgraduate masters and research) may be offered a bursary of £1,000 to reduce their tuition fee costs.

Students who meet our academic entry requirements, accept their place on the course, and pay the full tuition fee in advance of enrolment, will be offered a £1,000 bursary. This bursary is awarded in the form of discount. You will receive more information on this with your offer letter.

Please note that you will only be eligible for the bursary if you, or a member of your family, or other private sponsor will be paying your fees. Please note that no bursary will be awarded to you if you are funded by your employer or another government body.

For PhD research students, University of Chester offers a small number of scholarships, or Gladstone Fellowships, each year which cover tuition fees at the UK/EU rate, and also make a contribution to living costs. Up to four awards may be made each year, and each total grant is in the region of £12,000 per year. Gladstone Fellowships are advertised on our website in the spring of each year.

Where will I live? What will it cost?

Coming to live in the UK may mean living abroad for the first time. We understand that this may be a difficult and emotional experience for you and your family, and we try to do everything possible to help new international students feel at home in their new surroundings.

Guaranteed Accommodation

We guarantee to find accommodation for all our international students. This will normally be on campus, but late applicants may be placed in other suitable accommodation close to the campus.

Accommodation costs between £44 – £108 per week (2005/06), depending on the type of accommodation required, and the facilities available. For more detailed information about the different types of University accommodation, and the costs involved, consult the website:

Family Accommodation

While every attempt is made to assist students with families to fi nd accommodation in the private sector, it is not possible to offer campus accommodation for family occupancy.

How to Apply for Accommodation

After firmly accepting your place at the University of Chester, we will send you the “Information for International Students” booklet together with an Accommodation Application Form. The booklet will give you detailed information on accommodation and accommodation deposit payment. You should complete and return the accommodation application form to the Accommodation Office, together with an accommodation bond of £200 by 20 July. It will not be possible to guarantee University accommodation if we receive your completed accommodation application form and the bond after this date, though we will do everything we can to help you to find private accommodation.

Student Loans for Indian Students

Students who wish to study at University of Chester can apply for student loans
through The Paras Education Foundation.

The Paras Education Foundation

  • Tel: (91-22) 22831636/ 7 / 8
  • Tele-Fax: - 91-22 22831639
  • After Office Hours: 09323249048 (RIM) / 098210 34533 / (91-22) 20622246
  • US Number: 1-219-695-7622 / 1-510-257-4523 / 1-510-830-4594. (Routed through our Head Office in Mumbai, India.) (Time: 8am to 11pm IST)
  • US Toll Free Fax Number: 1-888-852-9786
  • UK Number: +44 20 8002 9809 (Routed through their Head Office in Mumbai, India.)(Time: 8am to 11pm IST)
  • E-mail:; or
  • Website: -

primary schools in Chester, secondary schools in Chester, schools in Chester

Editorial office:
tel. + 48 (094)