About the University
Why Choose City?
How to Apply?
Schools and Departments
Business and Community
Fees and Finance
News and Events
City University London
Find out more about our origins, history and achievements, which span more than one hundred years.
City University London was founded in 1894 as the Northampton Institute and awarded full university status in 1966
We are based in the heart of London, close to the City of London, where we contribute significantly to the capital's academic, cultural and business life.
We have almost 23,680 students from 157 countries who benefit from our internationally renowned experience of more than one hundred years' of teaching and learning.
Introducing City University London
An overview of who we are and what do
We have developed over the past 100 years into an innovative, forward-looking centre of excellence, with a well-deserved reputation in professional and business education and research. Today, we are ready and equipped to face the educational and professional challenges of the knowledge economy.
Founded in 1894 as the Northampton Institute on its present site and awarded full university status in 1966, we have special links with the City of London and plays an active role in the business and professional life of the capital. Our Chancellor is the Lord Mayor of London and our degree ceremonies are held at the historic Guildhall.
We pride ourselves on our close contacts with the leading professional institutions and with business and industry, both at home and abroad. Our professional links are reflected in our teaching and research staff. In addition to their high academic standing, many have professional qualifications and wide experience.
City’s success is demonstrated by its graduate employment record, which is one of the best in the country. We are also the sixth most popular university in the UK for student applications. Our reputation extends worldwide: of almost 10,000 City University London students, more than 40 per cent are international, the majority of these from outside the European Union.
We have dedicated ourselves to six strategic aims which will guide us towards even greater success in the coming years:
- to provide high-quality education which meets the needs of our students and their employers
- to develop and enhance research which has acknowledged standards of excellence
- to influence policy and practice within our chosen areas of expertise
- to make a significant contribution to the success of London as a world city
- to increase the international scope and reputation of the University
- to develop the University through growth and strategic collaboration.
City University London's competencies
We have substantial expertise in:
- business and law
- mathematics, engineering and informatics
- social sciences
- creative and cultural subjects
- continuing education and professional development.