The History of Polehampton School
The name Polehampton comes from Edward Polehampton who was the school’s founder. He bequeathed money to a trust in 1772 to erect a school and clothe and educate ten poor boys of Twyford. Legend has it that around 1666 he was taken in and cared for as a sick boy by the landlord of the Rose and Crown in Twyford. When he was fit again he travelled to London and eventually made his fortune.
The Trust was re-established by Act of Parliament in 1885, at which time the Polehampton Boys’ School was rebuilt in the High Street opposite Chiswick House, which was originally the Rose and Crown. This was used until December 1964, when the present Polehampton Church of England Junior School for both boys and girls, built by Berkshire County Council, was opened. Previously, the younger children and girls had been educated at the current Polehampton Infants’ School.
The school was built on a large open site and as the population of Twyford and Ruscombe increased, it was eventually necessary to erect temporary classrooms around the playground until eventually Colleton Primary School was built to serve the southern half of the village.
Today, the Polehampton Trust, administers money left in the will of Edward Polehampton to be used for eductional and charitable purposes in the villages of Twyford and Ruscombe. It continues to support local schools with generous financial contributions towards the purchase of educational equipment.
Polehampton Church of England Junior School and Polehampton Infant School are named after Edward Polehampton, who bequeathed money in 1722 to educate the people of Twyford.
Born 1652 (Cromwell) - Died 1722 (George 1)
There is a story that on a winter's night in about 1662 the landlord of the Rose and Crown, a coaching-inn with large stables opposite the boys school now known as Chiswick House, found on his doorstep a boy, wet, cold and hungry, took him and looked after him till he went on his way to London, and that the boy was Edward Polehampton. It is certain from the records of the painter Stainers' Company that in 1676 Edward Polehampton became a pupil of Henry Lyne, a member of the Company. In 1707 he was elected Master. He lived in Low Lane in the parish of St Sepulchre, London. He was a churchwarden in 1703, never married, was a well-known painter of portraits and coaches, teacher of painting, printseller and Captain of Trained bands.
By his will, dated 27th July 1721, he left property at Twyford and Hampton in Middlesex for the education and benefit of Twyford boys. The Headmaster's House begun by him in 1721 was unfinished at his death. By his own wish he was buried at Hurst Church on the 7th July, 1722. A Chapel of St Swithin was finished in 1727 but was disused after Twyford Church was built in 1846.
In 1885 the Polehampton Estates Act was passed, and a scheme of the Charity Commissioners established. Under these the Schools were built and the Estates have been administered.
Standing quarter of a mile apart, the schools share the same high aspirations for the children in their care. They maintain their own identity whilst providing an established continuum of education from 5 to 11 years.
There is a natural transition from the Infant to Junior school and the schools share the same basic uniform.
OUT OF HOURS ACTIVITIES
|A number of activities take place at the school and we would like our community to get involved as much as possible. Please click on the links above for further information.
||You can always send the school an e-mail message at:
POLEHAMPTON AFTER SCHOOL CLUB
The Monster Fun Club provides a safe and enjoyable environment for children between the ages of 5-11years at Polehampton Church of England Junior School.
The After School Club is open from 3.30 to 6pm Monday to Friday during term time.
Supervision is provided by qualified staff on a maximum ratio of 1:8.
After School Club - Art
We are delighted that Mrs Schonauer (parent of Lovre in Year 6) will be running an after school Art Club after half term. This will take place on a Thursday - more details to follow.
Our current staff members are: Hilary Priest, Jeanette Tranmer, Barbara Cripps and Kelvin Gee
A large number of varied activities take place within the club. Activities include:
Craft Games, Outside play, Playstation Console, Television, Cooking, Dance mat, A quiet room
A snack and a drink are always provided.
Places are available on a regular or casual basis. Whilst the club is open to children from Polehampton Infant School and Colleton School, priority is given to children from the Polehampton schools.
Fees are £6.50 a session.
PLEASE DOWNLOAD OUR REVISED POLICY DOCUMENT
Here are few photographs from the ASC environment
Cushions and kids TV
3 members of the ASC
3 members of the ASC