Welcome to our little community. We are part of the wider Christian family of Saint Sebastian's Parish, Wokingham, Berkshire, England.
St. Sebastian's is a Church of England aided school built in the late Victorian times. It is set in a wooded area between Crowthorne and Wokingham in Berkshire and is situated on the same site as St. Sebastian's Church. The headmaster is Mr. Colin Rouse. St. Sebastian's is a small school of 125 children with six classes.
Our school caters for the educational needs of children from 5-11 years of age, in a happy atmosphere of Christian values and practice.
We hold on to the best of the old and yet simultaneously pursue the best of modern practice.
Any child is made welcome here provided we have the room.
Key Vision Principles:
- A Christian community where everyone is loved and cared for, and Jesus lies at the heart of everything we do
- A school where every child achieves their full potential in every aspect of a broad curriculum
- A school which is an integral part of the wider community at St. Sebastian’s and where good relationships are fostered with all
- A school of happy children who demonstrate responsibility and maturity and who are growing in confidence and independence
- A well-managed and led school where all staff are committed to providing the best possible environment for learning in pursuit of excellence
- A school with the necessary space, staffing, resources and facilities, and where everything is well ordered so that staff can teach and children learn purposefully and without distraction
The school ethos aims to achieve two things:
- To raise standards of work.
- To raise standards of behaviour.
We believe in:
CARE OF SELF
- To see the good that is in me and to be thankful.
- To forgive and be self forgiving.
CARE OF OTHERS
- To think about the needs of others as well as myself.
- To be thoroughly fair and helpful in my dealings with everyone.
CARE OF THE ENVIRONMENT
- To protect and care for all living things and the environment around us.
The school is renowned for its caring ethos and the children learn the following ten principles.
God loves me and wants me to love him
(Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven)
God cares about me and my needs
(Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted)
It is good to think of others before myself
(Blessed are the meek for they shall inherit the earth)
I can choose how to live but God’s way is best
(Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled)
I need to be ready to forgive other people
(Blessed are the merciful, for they shall be shown mercy)
Good thoughts lead to good actions
(Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God)
I need to co-operate with other people
(Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God)
I should stand up for what is right
(Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven)
In "Caring for Others" we are linked with a school in Mityana in Uganda, where we are helping to educate those children who are unable to afford their schooling.
St Sebastian's Curriculum
We provide a broad and balanced curriculum. Numeracy and Literacy are taught mainly as separate subjects. We do, however, teach the humanities through a thematic approach.
We divide the thematic curriculum into 3 two year cycles:
Look here for areas to help with your topics and curriculum Subjects
Children's own web pages