I would like to welcome your interest in Henbury School. Choosing a secondary school can be a difficult experience. All parents and carers want to be sure that a school will offer their child the best opportunities to succeed academically, personally and socially and, of course, to be happy. Those priorities are very much the priorities of our school. By working in close partnership with parents and carers we know we can support students to be successful. This ethos is summed up in our motto: 'Learning Together'.
At Henbury, we are proud of what the school has to offer. The beautiful buildings and environment make the school an inspiring place in which to work and learn. Our status as a Specialist Arts College has enabled us to develop outstanding facilities for all our students, as well as opportunities for working with partner primary schools and the community.
The most valuable thing we have to offer, though, is the quality of teaching, learning and individual care that students receive in the school. Staff and students here are committed to success; we aim to provide all students with the education they deserve, so that each one of them can achieve his or her best in a happy and caring school. If this is what you are seeking for your child's secondary education, I hope that you will choose Henbury School.
While this prospectus can only give you a snapshot of what Henbury can offer, we always welcome visits from students and their parents to get a fuller picture of what we have to offer by seeing the school in action. I look forward to meeting you.
Click here to view this years Prospectus
Click here to download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Attendance and Punctuality
• Students are expected to attend school every day on time, unless they have a valid and genuine reason.
• Parents/carers have a responsibility to ensure their child has good attendance and is punctual for school.
• Parents/Carers should telephone the school on the first day of their child's absence.
• Any absences should be explained in writing ON THE DAY THE CHILD RETURNS to school. Notes are best written in the child's Planner and addressed to the Tutor.
• It is appreciated if the parent/carer could let their child's Tutor know of any prolonged absence in order that we can arrange for work to be sent home (if appropriate).
• If a student is absent without notification, parents/carers will be contacted through an automated service, where a reason can be given.
• If, as a parent/carer, you are concerned about your child's attendance you may contact the Education Welfare Service at:
Bristol Education Centre, Sheridan Road
Horfield, Bristol BS7 0PU (Tel 9031353)
• Henbury has close links with the Avon & Somerset Constabulary, with whom we run TRUANCY WATCH with random spot-checks held on and around the school premises.
• The school has dedicated staff to help with punctuality and attendance, an Attendance Administrator and Attendance Learning Mentors. Their role in school is to provide additional support for parents, staff and students in order to reduce levels of absence and lateness.
• The school may ask the Education Welfare Service to issue a Fixed Penalty Notice if a student has a number of unexplained absences.
Henbury School is a community that
respects and values the individual, by
providing a creative learning environment
where everyone achieves
Our Code for Success
OUR CODE FOR SUCCESS MEANS THAT AROUND THE SCHOOL WE:
• Arrive in school and at lessons on time
• Come to school in uniform with the necessary equipment
• Show respect for everyone
• Show respect for our environment
• Eat and drink only in the designated areas
• Move around the school quietly and calmly keeping to the one way system on stairs
BEFORE LESSONS WE:
• Arrive on time
• Wait quietly and calmly
• Enter the classroom in an orderly manner and sit where asked
• Remove outdoor clothing and place in locker
• Get ready to learn (Find the equipment for the lesson. Keep everything else in bags)
DURING LESSONS WE:
• Listen carefully to the teacher
• Take part and speak when appropriate
• Take care with written work and do our best
• Record homework carefully
AFTER LESSONS WE:
• Pack away when asked and leave the room tidy
• Exit in an orderly manner
• Move quickly, quietly and calmly to the next lesson
• Complete homework as well as we can and meet all deadlines.