Summary of cover – for a full copy of the Summary of Cover please contact Liz Nash, Insurance Services, on 0117 9222208.
School Journey Policy
Policyholder: Bristol City Council
Policy Number: SJ-05U002-0026
This leaflet provides a summary of the significant features, benefits and limitations of the cover provided by Zurich Municipal’s Balance of Perils policy. The full terms, conditions or exclusions are shown in the Policy Document, which can be obtained from Zurich Municipal.
The Policy provides:
Indemnity against specified risks of cancellation, personal accident, medical, personnel effects and legal liability related expenses.
Period of Insurance:
The renewal date of the policy is 31 March 2007. The policy cover will run from the time of assembly of the School Journey party prior to departure until dispersal on return including direct travel to and from home. In respect of Cancellation and Other Expenses cover commences on the date that the first premium is paid.
Summary of features and benefits
(The relevant page number in the policy is shown beside each section of cover).
Insurance is provided for each individual member of a School Journey party who is either involved in full-time education or a teacher or other adult not over 65 years of age.
This Policy covers any trip or excursion not exceeding 31 days in duration (including exchange visits and work experience placements) approved by the Insured involving travel outside the school boundaries but excluding trips or excursions where insurance is provided as a part of the package price.
Insurance is provided against the following major events:
Cancellation (page 2)
Medical and Associated expenses (page 3)
Personal Accident (page 4)
Permanent or total disablement
Permanent partial disablement
Permanent facial disfigurement
Loss/damage to teeth/dentures
Temporary total disablement
exceeding 104 weeks
Personal Effects and Money (page 6)
Any one article/set of articles
All money in custody of
Legal Liability (Page 7)
Pollution and Contamination
£1,000 any one insured
£1,000,000 any one insured
£20,000 (aged 18 and over), £7,500 (aged under 18)
Up to £12,000
£20 per week (aged 18 and over), £5 per week (aged 18 or under)
£400 any one insured
£1,500 any one insured
£5,000,000 any one occurrence
£5,000,000 any one period of cover
* Limited Cover - Skiing, ski walks, the use of ski-bobs and toboggans and skating (to a standard appropriate to the Insured’s experience and training as judged by qualified instructors) including transit by lifts and recognized paths under the supervision of a qualified instructor /or teacher. Unaccompanied use of nursery ski slopes or skating with the consent of a qualified instructor is also allowed.
* Full Cover - Skiing including off-piste, ski walks, skating and the use of ski-bobs and toboggans including transits by lifts without supervision it being understood that the Insured is a qualified adult by training/experience to engage in such activities unoccupied.
Summary of exclusions
Excess (Page 6)
The first £15 in respect of any claim for any Insured other than for loss of deposits, providing that the total amount will not exceed £100 in the aggregate in respect of any School Journey.
Winter Sports ( (Page 1)
Ski-flying, ski-acrobatics or stunting, ice hockey, the use of skeletons or bobsleighs or racing or jumping of any kind
General Exclusions (Page 8)
* Loss or Damage caused by:
* motor-cycling, racing of any kind other than on foot, or air travel other than as passenger in a licensed passenger carrying aircraft
* intoxication of or the illegal use of drugs by any Person Insured or deliberate exposure to unnecessary danger (except in an attempt to save human life) or sexually transmitted disease
* any Person Insured undertaking a School Journey against medical advice
* The Insurer will not be liable for any claim outside the territorial limits as defined in the Policy
* any loss directly or indirectly arising out of, contributed to by, or resulting from actual, threatened, feared or perceived use of biological, chemical, radioactive or nuclear agent, material, device or weapon
Ionising radiation or contamination by radioactivity
* War invasion act of foreign enemy hostilities (whether war be declared or not) civil war rebellion revolution insurrection or military or usurped power
* Pressure waves caused by aircraft or other aerial devices travelling at sonic or supersonic speeds
You should contact the Policyholder at the address below if you want to make a claim:
Dawn Harvey, Bristol City Council Insurance Services, Room 313, Council House, College Green, Bristol BS99 7BL.
You will notify a claim as soon as possible, and within 30 days of the claim (7 days in respect of riot or malicious damage) provide full details including supporting evidence in writing to us.
You will also notify the Police as soon as possible in the event of theft or malicious damage.
At Zurich Municipal we always endeavour to deliver a quality service but we recognise that very occasionally things may go wrong. If you have any cause for complaint, you should in the first instance call or write to either your normal point of contact or the office that issued your policy. Please quote the details of your policy (your policy number, your name, your organisation’s name, etc.) If the matter is not resolved to your satisfaction, please write to the Manager of the office that administers your policy. In the unlikely event that you are still not satisfied with our response, please write to our Chief Executive at:
Zurich Insurance Company
If you are still not happy with the way we have dealt with your complaint, you may have the right to ask the Financial Ombudsman Service to review your case :
Financial Ombudsman Service
South Quay Plaza
183 Marsh Wall
Tel: 0845 080 1800 Email: mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
NB. The above does not affect your legal rights.
We may cancel your policy by giving you 30 days written notice by recorded delivery to your last known address. We will refund the premium for the remaining days when we will not be on cover.
Zurich Municipal, Southwood Crescent, Farnborough, Hants, GU14 0NJ
Zurich Municipal is a trading name of Zurich Insurance Company. A limited company incorporated in Switzerland. Registered in the canton of Zurich No. CH-020.3.929.583-0. UK branch registered in England No. BR105. UK Head Office: Zurich House, Stanhope Road, Portsmouth, Hampshire PO1 1DU. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.