Stoke Goldington Church of England First School is a small, friendly and popular village school in the centre of a picturesque village in Buckinghamshire.
We provide a safe, caring environment in which children can learn and achieve their full potential.
Select one of the options on the left hand side to find out more about the school, children, staff and governors. The latest Ofsted Report was published in May 2006, click here for more details.
The earliest date of a school in Stoke Goldington was 1819. This was in the chancel of the church.
In the last century the population of Stoke Goldington was almost double that of today. In 1847 it was 855. In 1837, members of the Church and members of the Independent Chapel, met to discuss the education of the many children in the parish. They agreed to establish a school, in two loaned cottage rooms, on the principles of the non-denominational British and Foreign School Society called a “British School”.
A well-loved curate in charge was on the management committee and the ecumenical venture was successfully launched. Sadly, however, he left Stoke Goldington that same year and his successor “took means to divide the School” wanting religious instruction to conform to the Church of England doctrines, which existed in schools established by the National Society for promoting the education of the poor called “National Schools”. The present school building opened in 1839 as a National School.
Consequently, two schools existed in rivalry in the village, but eventually in 1845 the British School closed down. The National School went from strength to strength and in 1882 had 183 pupils on the register, with 179 recorded at a single attendance! 1926 was the last time that 100 or more pupils were on the school role. Within living memory the cramped conditions were such that pupils had to clamber over desks to get to their own places. We are glad we do not face such an acute problem of overcrowding today!
Eventually the Church could not finance the running of the school and it became “controlled”, which means it was taken over by Buckinghamshire County Council. This took place in 1903, however, the church connection has continued with an Oxford Diocesan representative and, until recently the incumbent of the parish serving among the manager, now called the governors, of the school.
We firmly believe that the school is a vital aspect of village life and makes an important contribution to a balanced community. The small school based in the home locality gives a better start in the education of the children in their early years, especially as in our case as there is a close connection with, and continuity from, a Pre-school playgroup run in the village hall.
Mrs J Whiting, previous Chair of Governors