Welcome to Bellfield Primary School!
Please feel free to look around using the menu bar on the left - there is a lot of very useful information not to mention our photo galleries.
A BRIEF HISTORY OF BELLFIELD PRIMARY SCHOOL
1954: On 4th May Bellfield County Primary School was opened under the Headship of Miss H Suckling. 303 children aged between 5 and 11 years old were admitted to the school.
On the 30th November the school was officially “handed over”. At the ceremony the Handing Over Speech was made by Alderman Schultz and the Acceptance Speech was given by Councillor Buckle.
1955: On 25th November, almost exactly one year after the handing over, two new classrooms were brought into use. This expansion was necessary because of the demand for places as a result of the Grasby Road area.
1968: On 30th April Mrs B Hodgson took over the Headship on the retirement after 14 years of Miss Suckling.
1969: As part of the reorganisation of Hull Schools into a 3-tier system, Bellfield Primary School changed to a 5 to 9 Primary School.
1984: During this year, one of the Infant classrooms was adapted to be come a 26 place nursery.
1987: Mrs R Taylor took over the Headship following the retirement of Mrs Hodgson.
1988: In September the Hull schools were reorganised once more into a 2-tier system. Bellfield took on its present status of Primary School with 236 places for 5 to 11 years old and a 26 place Nursery.
1997: Mrs Taylor retired at Easter and Mr M Williamson was appointed Acting Head Teacher.
Mrs M L Murray was appointed to the Headship from September.
2001: The first phase of the children’s play area was completed with outdoor climbing equipment and seating.
2004: Bellfield celebrated its Golden Jubilee with special events for the pupils, a balloon launch, a picnic and Fun Day. A helicopter visited the site and took an aerial photo with the staff and pupils spelling out ‘Bellfield 50 ‘. Ex-pupils and staff were invited to on Open Day and events at the weekend. Two previous head teachers attended, Mrs Hodgson and Mrs Taylor.
All pupils received a mug or money box and a rosette as a memento from the Friends of Bellfield.
During 2004 the school had two new rooms and a store added to the building to be used as a Library and for Special Needs and Music. The school was re-roofed and had new PVC windows and doors fitted.
2005: A Jubilee Woodland Walk and Fitness trail was opened. It was designed by the children with the help of a landscape architect and implemented with the support of Ann Rayner and the Yorkshire Wildlife Trust. This includes a ‘House on the Hill’ and an amphitheatre for use as an outdoor classroom.
2006: The building was extended again to improve staff accommodation with an extension to the Head’s room and staffroom, new staff toilets, a new disabled toilet, two new stores and a PE store.