Welcome to Buttsbury Junior School. We hope that you find this website helpful and informative. It is constantly being updated, so please do revisit.
Buttsbury is a school with a happy atmosphere, dedicated staff, governing body and an active parents association. We are a Foundation school for girls and boys aged 7 to 11
At Buttsbury Junior School, staff, governors, parents and pupils work together to enable every learner to make optimum educational progress, in order to achieve the highest possible standards of attainment in a safe, happy, caring, stimulating and challenging environment.
The principles which guide our work are:
- To respond to the intellectual, spiritual, physical, aesthetic, cultural and social needs of each child.
- To provide a broad and balanced curriculum accessible to all.
- To enhance communication and co-operation between all of the partners involved in the education of our pupils.
- To maintain mutual respect for all involved in the educational process at Buttsbury Junior School.
The Buttsbury Junior School is a two-storey building with 16 traditional classrooms and two halls. There are six specialist rooms:
- Two Information Communication Technology suites.
- Science with Design and Technology room.
- Instrumental music teaching room.
- Special Educational Needs study room.
- Community Activity Room.
The grounds include a large playground, playing field and conservation area.
The pupils, admitted into Year 3, are divided into four parallel mixed ability classes. The four class groups usually stay together until they transfer to secondary education. Pupils are put into ability sets for numeracy throughout the school and for literacy lessons in Years 5 and 6.
The majority of pupils admitted into Year 3 transfer from Buttsbury Infant School. Close links exist between the two schools to ensure continuity of curriculum provision and shared expectations.