Dilkes School was opened in 1952 to serve a Greater London Council housing estate being developed in the Belhus Park area. Initially the building housed separate Infant and Junior schools but these were amalgamated in September 1977 into a Primary school. We share the school site with a Social Services Family Centre. In addition a nursery class was established in 1973. We therefore cater for children from age three to age eleven.
The buildings are spaciously designed with corridors leading to individual classrooms, ten of which are on the ground floor and four on the upper floor. There is an assembly hall equipped for physical education, two dining halls and a kitchen. Facilities also include an ICT suite, library, teaching kitchens, offices and generous storage space. The school is well equipped having televisions and video recorders, an audio system, computers in each classroom, overhead projectors and tape recorders. The school also has a wide range of PE and games equipment.
The school is pleasantly sited with adequate playgrounds and playing fields which include a soccer pitch and a cricket strip. Parks not far from the school, road networks, bridges, tunnels and nearby villages of South Ockendon and Aveley provide excellent sources of interest. A shopping centre, library, swimming pool and sports facilities are also within easy reach of the school. London, with its museums and historic buildings, and the farms and zoos of Essex and Kent also provide a wide variety of places to visit.