We hope that the following pages will give you some basic information about our school, but of course, there is nothing like a visit to find out what we are really like! Please click on the links to learn something about us, or contact us to arrange a visit.
The School was founded, as Holland Road Board School in 1902. It was to be an all-standard establishment, accommodating up to 360 mixed (senior and junior) pupils and 200 infants, in purpose-built premises on a site in Holland Road. At the time of the school's opening the new buildings were unfinished, and it was temporarily housed in the Clacton Town Hall until they were completed. During the first week 96 children were admitted, 54 boys and 42 girls who had been transferred from St. Osyth Road School. By November 1903 there were 145 pupils enrolled. On 23rd September 1904 the school district was defined: it was to comprise the areas to the east of Pier Avenue and the south and south east of Old Road, including the houses on both sides of the named roads.
In the early years there was much 'coming and going' of pupils, as many were visitors to Clacton and attended the school for only a short time, but those who were permanent residents benefited from a number of innovations. In November 1905 a 'cocoa scheme' was introduced, to provide those staying to lunch with a hot drink, and proved very popular, and on 20th September 1907 a school library was opened, with over 100 volumes, many of which had been obtained through the efforts of the children themselves. In 1911 a gardening course was started and a flagpole and flag, paid for with funds raised by the children, were installed. In December 1908 a girl pupil was the victim of a bizarre but potentially dangerous incident, when she was accidentally pushed against a wall and her chest punctured by a crochet hook which she had been carrying in her pocket. Fortunately, the hook came to rest against a rib and was prevented from doing serious damage. Two years later the headmaster recorded the removal of another pupil to St. Osyth Road School as she had obtained 'a medical certificate to say that she was too delicate to attend Holland Road'. He commented bitterly that 'the local doctors are a hindrance to the filling of this school'.