Maylandsea Community Primary School
Originally the school dates back to 1877 and served the localities of Mayland, Althorne and Steeple. We were housed on the outskirts of the villages in a Victorian building which served us well until 1990. As a result of the growing number of pupils, however, the new school was re-sited within the main community, serving Mayland and Steeple.
The unusual design of the school is based on the traditional features of old Essex maltings situated on the river Blackwater at Salcott, and consists of two pavilions linked by the reception and administration areas. One contains an assembly hall, kitchen and recreational facilities, whilst the other houses teaching areas for ten classes, music, ICT, staff and group rooms. In addition there are three relocatable classrooms.
The school is surrounded by three separate playground areas, featuring age appropriate adventure play equipment, a grass playing field, a pond and landscaped gardens to create a most attractive environment for pupils and visitors alike.