There has been a Church Day School in Galleywood since the early nineteenth century. In 1838, a school was built at the Eagle cross-roads and about 90 children attended. It was altered and extended over the years until in 1965, there was an obvious need for a new building.
Welcome to St. Michael`s Church of England Junior School
The decision was taken to build two schools in Barnard Road, one a County Infant School and the other a Church Junior School, which could also be used as a place of worship on Sundays.
The Infant School was opened in 1966, and St. Michael's in September 1967. The Junior School has eight classrooms and extra relocatable classrooms within the grounds. There are two playgrounds and a large playing field.